Lisa Oyen resigns as Arizona’s head soccer coach

After a nine-year coaching career at Arizona, head soccer coach Lisa Oyen resigned on Thursday.

“My decision to resign was not an easy one, but I’ve decided to pursue other opportunities,” Oyen said in a press release. “I want to offer a thank-you to (Athletics Director) Greg Byrne and the current athletic administration for the opportunity I was given. I’ve worked with some of the best people and coaches in the country.”

Oyen came into the program as an assistant coach in 2003 under Dan Tobias and by Oct. 2009 she was named the co-interim head coaching position after Tobias resigned mid-season. By Nov. 12, 2009, she was named head coach.

In her time as head coach the Wildcats had losing records of 6-11-3 this season, winning only two Pac-12 games and went 1-16-2 last season. In Oyen’s first full season in 2010, the Wildcats were 5-13-2 with only one Pac-12. Her overall record was 12-40-7 as head coach.

“I want to thank Lisa and her staff for their hard work and effort. She’s improved our program and we’re sorry to see her leave,” said Greg Byrne in the press release. “We plan to open the position and conduct a national search. I’m confident we will find a terrific head coach for the Arizona soccer program.”