Around the horn: Top 5 sports stories from Tuesday
• Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees will have hip surgery, which could keep him from playing all the way until the All-Star break. Rodriguez has a history of injuries, and is baseball’s priciest player at $275 million.
• The Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics organizers are tight on time and were told to speed up preparations by the International Olympic Committee. The city has not finalized its budget for the games and its economy is not showing much growth.
• 23-year-old golfer Rory McIlroy is voted the US PGA Tour player of the year, with four total wins, the money title, and the lowest adjusted scoring average.
• It was learned that Kansas City Chiefs officials were aware of problems between linebacker Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend, who he shot Saturday before killing himself. The couple had undergone counseling provided by the team.
• The Cal Bears are on the search for a new head coach, and possible candidates include Louisiana Tech’s Sonny Dykes, Darrell Hazell of Kent State, and Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson.