Around the horn: top 5 sports stories from the weekend
• Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend Saturday, and then proceeded to commit suicide in front of his coach and general manager at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs pulled together Sunday for a win against the Carolina Panthers despite the tragic events.
• USC’s assistant head coach for defense Monte Kiffin resigned from his position Friday. The 72-year old father of head coach Lane Kiffin will coach through the Sun Bowl and hopes to pursue NFL opportunities.
• Stanford defeated UCLA in a close battle for the Pac-12 Championship. This is Stanford’s first conference championship win since 1999.
• The San Antonio Spurs were fined $250,000 by the NBA for violating league policy and not bringing the star players to Miami to play against the Heat. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green rested up instead of playing the final game of the six-game road trip.
• The bowl announcements were made Sunday night and Arizona will be taking on Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl in Albuquerque on Dec. 15.