President Hart to eat breakfast with UA students

Kyle+Wasson+%2F++Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0APresident+Ann+Weaver+Hart+addresses+students+and+ASUA+members+at+a+senate+meeting+held+on+Nov.+28+at+the+Student+Union.++
Kyle Wasson
Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat President Ann Weaver Hart addresses students and ASUA members at a senate meeting held on Nov. 28 at the Student Union.

UA students have the opportunity to apply to eat breakfast with university President Ann Weaver Hart and get to know her on a more personal level.

The breakfast, which Hart and Associated Students of the University of Arizona members have been planning since the summer, will provide an open forum for 25 students interested in conversing with the president. The event, which is the first one for “The U of A Breakfast Club,” will be held on Feb. 14 at 8 a.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center Ventana room. A second breakfast will be held on April 23.

“Dr. Hart and I met for the first time in July and we talked about an event where she could get to know students on a more personal level,” ASUA President Katy Murray said. “She’s excited to start this tradition at the U of A.”

Murray explained that Hart has a very demanding schedule, which made it a challenge to find a date when she was available to meet with students. Murray also said that Hart didn’t want to advertise the breakfast as having a specific agenda, but rather allow students to talk and discuss topics of interest and concern with their president.

“I think it may be something that future UA presidents continue,” Murray said. “I think it’s going to be a really cool event.”

Bruce Shelton, a finance senior and ASUA cabinet member expressed his excitement for the event.

“I’m definitely going to go to the event,” Shelton said. “There are a lot of people excited for it.”

Shelton has worked alongside Murray to plan the breakfast and he said he thinks it’s important for students to realize that Hart really cares about the students.

“She’s really excited for it,” Shelton said. “There really hasn’t been an event quite like this.”

Some students said the event is a good way for Hart to show her dedication to students and their interests.

“Obviously it would be ridiculous to try and get to know the entire student population,” said Melissa Midmore, a veterinary science sophomore. “But reaching out to get to know a wide variety of students and the things they’re interested in, whether it be school related or not, would be a good thing for her to do.”

However, other students said they don’t think the event will offer much.

“The UA president cannot really do much for me in my opinion,” said Simon Noudelman, a sophomore studying electrical engineering and math. “I pay my dues. I go to class and the only people I really need to know are my advisers and professors.”

Students interested in going to the event must submit a completed application to the ASUA front desk by 5 p.m. today. Students will be notified if they have been selected to attend via email on Feb. 8.