Greek-or-Treat provides safe environment for community

No bags were empty by the end of this year’s annual Greek-or-Treat.

UA fraternities and sororities spent Wednesday evening hosting games and activities for community members and providing them with candy. Greek or Treat, a party for fraternities, sororities and children alike, provided a new way to trick-or-treat. Instead of going door-to-door, kids were able to grab candy in a more convenient and safe way.

Greek-or-Treat, organized by Order of Omega, the Greek honorary for the UA, aims to provide a safe environment for the 300 to 500 families that attend each year.

“It’s open to anyone in the community,” said Dani Tronzo, a special education senior and vice president of communications on the Panhellenic Council.

For five-year-old Dominic, the best part of the event was a toss-up between being Spiderman and eating Twizzlers, his favorite candy.

“I played musical chairs,” she said. “And I got my face painted.”

Dominic’s mom, Michelle Muise, said the best part is the safety of the event.

“There’s a lot of people, and it’s on the mall with a lot of lights,” she said. “The kids are running around, but it’s safe, so I feel comfortable.”

Stephanie Mendibles said she brought her sons to the event for the same reason.

“It feels like it’s a safer environment,” Mendibles said. “We don’t have to go to scary doors and I don’t have to check the candy.”

Fraternity and sorority members enjoyed and said they consider community events such as these very important.

“I feel like it’s good to give back to the community,” said Justin Hakker, pre-business freshman and member of Kappa Alpha Order, “and I like seeing all the little kids.”

Jamie Adams, veterinary sciences junior and member of Kappa Alpha Theta, said she also enjoyed seeing the kids have fun. Adams’ sorority offered face painting and lollipop ghosts.

“It’s nice to see all the kids,” she said. “And we want to do this for the community.”

Lizette Trujillo said she heard about the event through parents of her daughter’s friends and they all attended Greek-or-Treat together.

“It was fun,” Trujillo said. “My daughter had a blast.”

Trujillo’s daughter, Monet, 6, also enjoyed the event.

“I love getting candy,” she said. “And I played with my friends.”