Staff picks: Oregon State and the Olympics

Luke Della
Arizona vs. Oregon State
Oregon State had a nice home victory over UCLA last week. The Beavers have to be feeling pretty confident. The Wildcats and their defense will bring them back to reality. Arizona’s defense is a lot better than the Bruins, even without Brandon Ashley. It’ll be close until the second half.
Arizona 74, Oregon State 55

XXII Olympic Winter Games Men’s Normal Hill Individual ski jumping
Despite knowing absolutely nothing about who is competing this year in Olympic ski jumping, I think I have to go with the American Anders Johnson. Three reasons why: He’s American with a European-sounding first name, he shares a first name with a character in “Workaholics” and most importantly he’s from New York, where it snows, so I’m pretty confident he has at least practiced.
Anders Johnson (United States)

Ladies Slopestyle snowboarding
This one is easy. In Ladies Slopestyle you have to go with Kjersti Østgaard Buaas of Norway. She’s 32 years old with only a Bronze Medal from the 2006 Winter Olympics to her name — it’s her time. By the way, she also won that Bronze Medal a week after breaking her leg. What a monster. But more importantly, she has the coolest name. I’m not sure how to pronounce any part of it, and that “Ø” in her middle name, bossy.
Kjersti Østgaard Buaas (Norway)

Roberto Payne
Arizona vs. Oregon State
The two games against the Oregon Schools (Oregon and Oregon State) are vital to see what kind of team Arizona is without Brandon Ashley. The Fighting Craig Robinsons’ victory over UCLA last week is promising, but the Beavers won’t get the same result against the Wildcats.
Arizona 70, Oregon State 58

Men’s Normal Hill Individual ski jump
Fair warning: In no way am I an expert on some of the events at the Winter Olympics. The men’s normal hill individual ski jump is one of the few events that I’ve actually heard of. Simon Ammann of Switzerland heads to Sochi as the favorite for the event and is my pick to win.
Simon Ammann (Switzerland)

Ladies Slopestyle snowboarding
The women’s snowboarding slopestyle final takes place Sunday and should be a competitive event. Anna Gasser of Austria and Jamie Anderson of the United States posted great scores during the qualification heats. I wouldn’t be surprised if either won the event. I’m picking Anderson to win one for the good ole USA.
Jamie Anderson (United States)

Rose Aly Valenzuela
Arizona vs. Oregon State
Oregon State didn’t beat Arizona last season, and I’m positive it won’t beat them Arizona season, either, especially because Arizona’s playing at home. After the loss against Cal, its team should be pretty pumped up to get back to a winning streak.
Arizona 80, Oregon State 74

Men’s Normal Hill Individual ski jump
Nicholas Alexander seems to know what he’s doing when it comes to ski jumping. I mean, he’s from America, so why wouldn’t he, right? If I had money I would bet lots of it towards his success during the normal hill ski jumping event.
Nicholas Alexander (United States)

Ladies Slopestyle snowboarding
I’m rooting for one of the youngest American athletes in the Olympics this year, Ty Walker. She’s a 16-year-old Olympian who previously left a field hockey career to follow her snowboarding dreams. I don’t even know this girl and I already think she’s the coolest ever.
Ty Walker (United States)