Chromeo puts on stellar show

Courtesy+of+McKenzie+Storey%0A%0AChromeo%2C+an+electric+punk+duo%2C+performed+at+The+Marquee+on+Saturday+night+in+Tempe%2C+Ariz.+
    Courtesy of McKenzie Storey Chromeo, an electric punk duo, performed at The Marquee on Saturday night in Tempe, Ariz.

Electrofunk duo Chromeo performed Saturday at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Ariz. Tokimonsta, an electronic music producer and disc jockey, opened up the show for Chromeo. Her performance was captivating, but did not resemble her typical sound. I attribute this to the fact that she was opening for a more mainstream artist. My personal favorite track of Tokimonsta’s is “Darkest (Dim),” but, unfortunately, she did not play it on Saturday. Her set mostly revolved around her newest album, titled Half Shadows, which I recommend you check out.

Once Tokimonsta finished performing, the Marquee Theatre began to reach capacity, and the crowd began chanting “Chro-me-o.” The audience was lively and ready to dance. After watching David Macklovitch and Patrick Gemayel perform, I now understand why they are referred to as the funk lords. Yes, their recordings are funky, but I did not realize the extent of the funk until seeing them live.

I was very impressed by the stage setup; the duo was surrounded by mirrors and bright lights on all sides. My favorite touch was the mannequin legs that their instruments sat atop of. From where I was standing, the mannequin legs appeared to be David and Patrick’s legs. I caught myself chuckling multiple times at the sight of the two artists with such slender legs.

The duo had great chemistry from start to finish. It’s no surprise that Chromeo originated from a childhood friendship. Often, they let loose on their instruments and leaned into one another back-to-back, completely present in the moment.

David was the main attraction of the performance, with his dreamy black curls and shining smile. I heard a number of young women squeal as David pointed toward them. And putting David’s innate charm aside, whenever Patrick stepped forth to address the crowd, everyone went wild. Patrick has a quiet confidence about him because, let’s face it, David’s guitar and vocals wouldn’t be much on their own.

After the two artists said goodbye to Phoenix and left the stage, the crowd began chanting “Chro-me-o” once more. The duo soon returned for a three-song encore. In this encore, they debuted a new song, heavier on the electronic than the funk, and the crowd was down. Perhaps this stronger electronic influence has something to do with the fact that A-Trak of Duck Sauce is David’s younger brother.

After the encore, we all wanted more, and, yes, I listened to Chromeo on the drive home from the venue. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance, and if you ever have the chance to see Tokimonsta or Chromeo, do not pass it up.

@KAMP_Radio