Ka’Deem Carey gets drafted by the Chicago Bears

%09Former+Arizona+running+back+Ka%26%238217%3BDeem+Carey+celebrates+with+family+and+friends+at+his+Draft+Day+Party+after+being+picked+by+the+Chicago+Bears+in+the+fourth+round+pick+of+the+NFL+Draft+on+Saturday.+
Cecilia Alvarez

Former Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey celebrates with family and friends at his Draft Day Party after being picked by the Chicago Bears in the fourth round pick of the NFL Draft on Saturday.

After two nights of waiting to know his future, Arizona RB Ka’Deem Carey found out Saturday morning where he would be playing at the next level. The Chicago Bears selected Carey with the 117th pick of the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

“Ka’Deem Carey is an excellent representation of our university and our football program,” Arizona Athletics associate director of communication services Molly O’Mara said. “I probably spent as much time with Ka’Deem as anyone, in the role that I do, and he’s so appreciative of all the support.”

Carey, the first of three Arizona Wildcats drafted on Saturday, watched the draft with friends and family on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. In all, 116 players were picked above Carey including 10 running backs.

Eight of the 10 running backs selected before Carey were not finalists for the 2013 Doak Walker Award, which is awarded to the best running back in college football. The two other finalists beside Carey: Boston College’s Andre Williams and Washington’s Bishop Sankey were drafted at pick 113 and 54, respectively.

The slide down draft boards was not unforeseen; as poor combine results hurt Carey’s previously high draft stock. However, Carey said everything happens for a reason and he’s happy to be in Chicago.

“(Chicago) was on my radar, I was looking at them since round one,” Carey said. “I knew they trusted me because I went on the board and I did great on the board. I went outside, I caught balls for them and we had fun. We had a great relationship from the get go… I’m really excited for this.”

The Bears were not one of the main teams mentioned as a possible landing spot for Carey, but were actually one of the more interested teams in the services of Arizona’s all-time leading rusher.

Carey said Chicago’s offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer and running backs coach Skip Peete flew down to Tucson about a week before the draft for a last-minute workout. The private workout was held at the Arizona football facilities and was unknown to media members before Carey shed light on the matter.

“We all sat there, chopped it up probably a week before the draft,” Carey said. “That’s when I knew that it was serious, when they were going to take that flight and go out a week before the draft.”

Carey joins a Chicago team that finished last season with a record of 8-8 and didn’t make the playoffs. However, he does join a talented offense led by quaterback Jay Cutler, recievers Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall, tight end Martellus Bennett and running back Matt Forte.

Having that kind of pro-bowl talent around him will not only take considerable pressure off Carey to produce immediately, but will also give him several seasoned veterans to learn from. Specifically Carey mentioned his excitement to learn behind Forte.

“It’s great learning experience for me right now,” Carey said. “That’s why I can’t wait to play behind somebody like that. I just get to behind him and learn and hopefully he takes me under his wing.”

After speaking on the phone with Chicago head coach Marc Trestman among others, Carey said he reports to Chicago later this week for rookie minicamp.

Extra Points
Former Wildcats’ cornerback Shaq Richardson and linebacker Marquis Flowers were also drafted Saturday.

Richardson was taken in the fifth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers at the 157 pick and Flowers was taken by the Cincinnati Bengals in the sixth round at the 212 pick.

Also former Arizona receiver Terrance Miller went undrafted but did sign with the New York Jets as a rookie free agent.

—Follow Roberto Payne @HouseOfPayne555