New ZonaZoo director on football, basketball student section

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker/The Daily Wildcat UA students cheer in the ZonaZoo section at the UA v. UTSA game on Sept. 14.

On April 22, Arizona junior Jacob Borcover was named the new executive director of ZonaZoo, officially taking over the position on May 1. The Daily Wildcat caught up with Borcover to go over his future plans as well as what it means to be named the top-student section in the Pac-12 conference by ESPN.

Daily Wildcat: Why did you want to be the executive director of ZonaZoo?

Borcover: When I came to Arizona I wanted a big Pac-12 school sports environment, and after going to my first Arizona football game and sitting in the ZonaZoo I fell in love with the atmosphere. So I joined the ZonaZoo crew and made the goal to work as hard as I [could] to someday become the director of ZonaZoo — and now after two years, here I am.

What are some changes you hope to make?

One of our first goals is to target football and the atmosphere. We want to, of course, make sure people stay. And we have lots of ideas and we’re still talking to Arizona Athletics, and it’s up in the air, but we want to tackle Arizona football and Arizona Stadium first.

There have been rumors that ZonaZoo may move in McKale Center following renovations to the sideline. Is that true?

There’s no talk about moving ZonaZoo at McKale. Once the renovations are done, students should expect ZonaZoo to be behind the hoop as its always been.

Recently ESPN named ZonaZoo the best student section in the Pac-12 conference. Can you comment on that?

It’s an absolute honor and well-deserved title. I think when we’re in a close football game, our student section can compete with the best of them. And for basketball I think we have a top five student section every single game, no matter the opponent.

But what I think a lot of people don’t know or see is we do a lot of community work, and I think that easily separates us from the rest of the student sections at other universities. So like I said, it’s well-deserved, but also an honor that we own with pride.

—Follow Luke Della @LukeDella