Alumni Staff Picks

Arizona vs. No. 6 USC

Mike Ritter: How ironic it is that the Wildcats have gotten off to their fastest start in the Mike Stoops era, yet it will be the first time in four years that they will lose their Homecoming game. This could be the best team Stoops has ever had in Tucson and their record would reflect that, but if there is anybody who can put an end to some Homecoming magic, it’s Pete Carroll and his USC Trojans.

USC 35, Arizona 27

Michael Schwartz: The last time the Wildcats beat the Trojans I was wading through my freshman year of high school. Now I’m old enough to be doing alumni staff picks. But the Men of Troy that Bobby Wade and Ortege Jenkins dispatched back on Oct. 7, 2000, hardly resemble Pete Carroll’s powerhouse that has become Los Angeles’ professional football team in recent years. My head says USC going away, but this is Arizona on Homecoming. So why not one more homerish pick?

Arizona 24, No. 5 USC 20 (16,000 rush from Zona Zoo, goalpost stays upright, five students Tasered)

Roman Veytsman: I’ve been known to pick against the Wildcats for…you know…motivational purposes. Yet I can’t help but note the fact that early in the fourth quarter the last three seasons against USC, Arizona has been right there with the Trojans. Last year, the Wildcats were up by three early in the fourth, two seasons ago, down 10-3, and in 2005 down 28-21. Homecoming will give Arizona that little edge it needs to pull the upset; I’m just upset I won’t be at Dirtbags for the afterparty.

Arizona 28 USC 24

How far will UA men’s hoops go this season?

Mike: I had already written this prediction before it was released that Lute Olson was retiring, and this is what I had to say: “”All I can think about right now is how far will Lute Olson go? After that circus of a season last year, you’d have to think that his new assistants will be more important than at any time in Olson’s tenure. … It’s a good thing they still have Chase Budinger, otherwise it could get ugly.”” Now that it’s official, brace yourselves, Wildcat fans.

No NCAA Tournament appearance for the next two years

Michael: Where’s Kevin O’Neill when you need him? OK, I might be the only person who thinks O’Neill made a positive contribution to UA basketball last season, but we’ll see just how good a job he did with players he didn’t recruit when the less intense Mike Dunlap does the same with a similarly flawed team featuring talent at the top but not much on the bench. Chase, Jordan, Nic and two stiffs from the Rec Center could get this team to the Tournament for the 25th straight year, but expect another 8 or 9 seed and early exit.

NCAA Tournament, First Round

Roman: Do you know the real reason Lute Olson retired? This may be the team to finally halt that two decade plus NCAA tournament streak and he didn’t want to stick around for that. Not to be a Debbie downer, but this team has as much as depth as an empty pool. Since the Pac-10 is down after losing what seemed like its entire freshman class to the NBA, the Wildcats will survive the streak once again, and yet again bow out in the first round. Everybody, on three: one, two, three. First round exit.

NCAA Tournament, First Round