UA student illustrator draws praise

Courtesy of Bari Berger

Writer Sean Williams (left) and illustrator Sergey Poyarkov (center) smile with Alex Brock (right) after presenting him with a Writers and Illustrators of the Future award at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles on April 12. Brock is a UA senior studying fine arts with an emphasis in visual communications.

Alex Brock, a UA senior studying fine arts with an emphasis in visual communications, was presented at the prestigious Annual L. Ron Hubbard Achievement Awards on April 12.

According to Bari Berger, media relations for Galaxy Press, among the thousands of international contestants who entered the competition, only 12 illustrators actually won titles.

Brock writes in an email that he felt astonished upon discovering he was one of three winners of the 3rd Quarter Illustrators of the Future.

“I was absolutely thrilled,” Brock writes. “I was so surprised, I couldn’t believe it. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, though — in a good way. … It felt like everyone was happy for me, which is an amazing feeling.”

Brock said the win demonstrates that people care about his art, and he said he hopes it will help fuel his fire to pursue his artistic career.

“It is a validation in my skill and efforts; it means people actually like my work,” Brock writes. “It will hopefully give me the confidence to know what I’m worth and have a long and prosperous career. I’d love to do … anything involving games or fantasy, really. I’d love to be able to pursue my own personal art and projects, and maybe get into the gallery realm, as well.”

Brock, a self-proclaimed “serious” artist of six years, said he primarily uses digital mediums, such as Photoshop or a Wacom tablet, and that he hopes to expand his artistic horizons.

“I’d love to have oils as my main medium,” Brock writes. “I definitely think my taste is constantly evolving, getting a little better and more particular, and my style is following along with it. I don’t want to do the same thing forever. I think it’s another thing to explore.”

Brock said he takes his inspiration from a myriad of artists, including Denis Kostromitin, Craig Mullins and Brad Rigney. He also said bands and film aesthetics inspire his style.

“Right now, I’m really into classic horror and this re-emergence of psychedelia,” Brock writes. “There’s old animated movies like ‘Fire and Ice,’ [and] ‘Wizards,’ and heavy metal and current bands — that sound like they’re from the ’60s or ’70s — like Electric Wizard and Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats that really inspire me. I want to almost modernize this aesthetic, sort or polish it and make it as amazing as possible.”

Aside from winning the L. Ron Hubbard contest, Brock has recently had one of his pieces placed in the scholarship section of the Society of Illustrators.

Brock said he hopes to lead a long, fulfilling, successful career as an illustrator, “[exploring] a lot of avenues” and living his career where it takes him. Brock explained that any aspiring artist such as himself should follow a few basic words of advice.

“Focus on the fundamentals,” Brock writes. “They are the basis for any art form regardless of a style diversion or anything. I know they’re really boring, but they are so essential.”

_______________

Follow Brenna Bailey on Twitter.