Big shoes to fill for new ASUA president

Kyle Hansen

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Manny Felix talks about his stance on Gov. Doug Ducey’s budget cuts during the ASUA Presidential Candidate Debate in the Student Union Memorial Center on March 9. Felix officially secured his position as president after an ASUA Supreme Court ruling denied the opposing candidate’s appeal on March 29.

Despite the controversy surrounding newly elected ASUA President Manny Felix, his disqualification was overturned, and he is now preparing for his term.

A native Tucsonan, Felix moved to Mexico with his family but then returned to Arizona and settled in Nogales, where he finished school. He has always been involved with the UA, and Felix recalls learning English at the UA over the summers at youth camp while growing up. Now a UA senior studying political science and Spanish language and interpretation, he said he looks forward to a bright 2015-2016 school year by giving back to his community through his leadership as ASUA president.

“I’m the kind of person who seeks opportunities to help out and give back to the community that has given me so much,” Felix said.

Daily Wildcat: Looking back on the year, what would you say is the most memorable for you?

Felix: The most memorable thing this year for myself, positively, would be winning the election and becoming president. It has been the biggest privilege I have ever had in my life.

What are you looking forward to the most your senior year?

[It’s] even hard to believe that it’s my senior year. I am most excited for just getting to make sure that it’s [a] good year for everyone else. If I’m able to do something that will help others, that will be a successful year for me.

How would you describe your favorite memory at the UA since you were a freshman?

My favorite memory was when I thought I didn’t have plans during the summer going into UA and doing the summer program before my freshman [year] and falling in love with the school.

What should students know in order to be more involved next year with ASUA decisions?

Students need to be more open and express their feelings. [ASUA’s] doors are always open. Next year, I am planning on having office hours and creating a monthly podcast to share what is going on. If students are interested, there are always opportunities to express how they feel with me and ASUA.

What have you learned from senior Issac Ortega, now that he is ready to graduate? What has he passed down to you for the next school year?

He has definitely passed down to me knowledge. He explained to me … every part of the office … and how everything worked. I look up to Issac. He was my big [brother] in [SOPHOS Sophomore Honorary], and now I get to follow in his footsteps. It’s really funny how the world works.

What kind of changes do you expect to see next year, and how are they compared to this year?

Well, for next year, we are hoping for no more tuition increases, like we had this year. So, what we are going to do, myself and the presidents from [Arizona State University] and [Northern Arizona University] will be communicating to make sure that we fight for our students and do as much as possible to stop the budget cuts.

What was the best piece of advice that you have gotten from a graduating senior?

Never be afraid to try something new, to try something that might make me uncomfortable and try new things that you might be interested in. They have also reminded me to keep your friends close and never forget about your family.

What has the UA Class of 2015 taught you over the years?

That school spirit never seems to die, and even when you graduate, you are always a Wildcat.

_______________

Follow Lauren Renteria on Twitter.