Wildcats never go out of style

Photos by Sally Lugo / The Daily Wildcat

It is not uncommon for people to mistake the UA as a pretty basic campus — fashionwise, that is. It is easy to understand why this stereotype frequently associates itself with the UA style scene; when strolling to class in the morning, a seemingly ceaseless sea of The North Face, Lululemon Athletica, Sperry Top-Sider, Tory Burch and Polo envelopes our campus. Sporting these highly popular brands is, of course, perfectly okay. However, original style still persists within the university gates. Some Wildcats avoid conforming to fashion norms by wearing these more “basic” trends and choose to indulge in more unique, personal styles.

1. Kyli McQueen (freshman studying pre-neuroscience and cognitive science)

Who or what inspires your style most?

I wouldn’t say that I have any specific people as inspirations — I kind of just look around online on sites like Tumblr, and I try to just wear what’s most comfortable but also looks good.

Whose closet would you raid and why?

If I could raid anyone’s closet, I would raid the closet of FKA Twigs, because she probably wears the coolest clothes I’ve ever seen.

How would you define personal style?

Personal style is just a person’s expression of how they’re feeling and who they think they are, and I think it’s all about just being yourself and wearing what’s comfortable and what makes you feel most beautiful.

Vogue or Nylon?

Nylon.

Runway or street style?

Street style.

Your style in three words?

Casual, comfortable, unique.

How do you try to make the world perceive you through your style?

I always try to come off as approachable, but I try to keep it very — I try to wear colors that complement my skin tones or characteristics, so I just try to be very light and airy, wear white things and [light] colors.

2. Joane Umaya (psychology freshman)

Who or what inspires your style most?

I just kind of wear what I like. Like, I feel like a I don’t have a style. I don’t look at magazines or anything. I don’t know. I like thrift shopping, really old. … I just usually do a lot of sales shopping. I’m not about buying $40 shirts. I don’t really have an inspiration, I think.

How would you describe your style in a couple words?

I’m very minimalistic. I’m not much of a pattern person, but if I am [wearing one], I’ll pair it with other really simple things. Only three of my shirts actually have patterns, so just really minimal, I think.

Runway or street style?

Street style. I feel like I don’t like really fancy things. I feel like runway is more fancy. I just go for the bumming, just throw it on [look].

Whose closet would you raid if you could?

I’m not very in [touch] with celebrities. I just like really dark colors. I’m going to say Vanessa Hudgens. I really like her boho style. I guess that’s one thing — I really like loose things. I hate tight shirts. I will not.

What does personal style mean to you?

I guess just not being, like, up with a trend, I don’t know. Like when high-waisted shorts was a trend, not following that — just stick with what you like.

3. Carolina Colantuoni (graphic design freshman)

Who or what inspires your style the most?

I wouldn’t say it’s a who — it’s more of a what for me, because I don’t derive my style from other people. Mainly, it’s just how I’m feeling in the morning, like what I want to wear. Experience or places, [to be] specific. Also, time periods, as well — I really like stuff from the ’60s.

Describe your style in a few words.

I would say classy and youthful.

What do you try to accomplish through your style aesthetic?

I guess my goal is just to always look presentable and classy with a little twist of my own to incorporate my own artistic feelings, I guess, [what makes me] feel confident about myself, too.

Runway or street style?

Kind of a mix. I’d go for a hybrid.

If you could raid anyone’s closet, who and why?

I’m not going to lie, I would definitely raid Taylor Swift’s closet. She just dresses really nicely.

How would you define style/fashion?

I guess [it’s] your own personal aesthetic — what you enjoy. Just your take on what things should look like.

Do you pay attention to the fashion scene or read magazines?

Nope. [Only] at the doctor’s office.

4. Alexander Taylor (pre-physiology junior)

How would you describe your style in three words?

In three words: funky, creative, … um, the last word is tough. Definitely funky and creative … and unique, I guess? That’s kind of a bland word, but definitely funky and creative.

Where do you draw your style inspiration?

I would have to say Kanye West, number one. … Fashionwise, he’s definitely making moves. RuPaul is tight. I don’t crossdress or anything, but I like him as a person. I like what he’s done with the whole crossdressing and fashion scene in general. And Brittany Spears’ ex-husband, K-Fed. K-Fed was nice. He was cool. I like to look at what people are wearing and throw my own twist on things, go from there.

Where do you find your clothes for the most part?

I love thrift shopping. And I mean, I shop at the mall — I just go any place if something catches my eye. The number one thing I like is finding old, funky stuff and making it my own.

What does fashion/style mean to you?

When I think of fashion, I think it’s a visual representation of yourself. So you don’t know who I am, but you see what I’m wearing, and you can kind of get a taste of who I am through what I’m wearing. So, like, my goal for my look is to have a creative, up-front, in-your-face style or edge, so you can tell I’m not like everybody else. I don’t like to fit in with the crowd; I like to stand out, and the only way you can do that without knowing me is seeing the way I dress — you see me, you can tell. It’s a way to describe yourself without words. It’s a visual description of you.

_______________

Follow Brenna Bailey on Twitter.