‘Cause you know musicians always got bad blood

Beef (n.) — to have a grudge or start one with another person.

People don’t always get along, but no one usually bothers to notice. However, when famous musicians begin to feud, their cult-followings- along with everyone and their grandmother- begin to watch.

Let’s reflect on three of the most notable artist standoffs from the summer.

3) Taylor Swift vs. Nicki Minaj – The cat fight

After Nicki Minaj’s internet-shaking “Anaconda” video failed to receive an MTV Video Music Awards’ Video of the Year nomination, the “Super Bass” singer voiced her discontent via Twitter.

Minaj tweeted, “If your video celebrates women with very slim bodies, you will be nominated for vid of the year”, appearing to throw shade at VMA Video of the Year nominee, Taylor Swift.

Minaj’s tweet raised questions regarding the principles of women’s aesthetics in the media.

Does a certain body type grant success? Should women seek a specific look?

Soon after, Swift responded to Minaj’s tweet. “I’ve done nothing but love & support you,” Swift wrote. “It’s unlike you to pit women against each other. Maybe one of the men took your slot.”

The two went back and forth for a bit, but no insults were thrown. Later, Swift tweeted an apology, writing “I thought I was being called out. I missed the point, I misunderstood, then misspoke. I’m sorry, Nicki.”

According to Alex Tie-Shue, a sophomore physiology major, “I don’t think any of it was with bad intentions, just misplaced judgement.”

Diss Level: No bad blood

2) Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake – A real “Mayweather-Pacquiao” fight

This is the fight everyone would want to see. Two kings, one crown. But will it ever happen?

From the sounds of it, Drake and Lamar have been taking subliminal jabs at each other for some time. It all started with The Game’s slow banger, “100”, which released in late June.

In the song, Drake raps “I would have all of your fans if I didn’t go pop, and I stayed on some conscious sh*t,” possibly referencing Lamar’s shocking verse on Big Sean’s “Control.”

In “Control,” Lamar calls out the competitiveness of other mainstream rappers. Has Lamar responded? From an ambiguous standpoint, perhaps.

Hip-hop veteran producer, Dr. Dre, recently released an album titled Compton, where Lamar possibly jabs back at Drake on two of the 16 tracks.

In “Darkside/Gone,” Lamar throws the line, “But still I got enemies giving me energy, I don’t wanna fight now, subliminally sent to me all of this hate, I thought I was holding the mic down.”

This could refer to Drake’s “Energy” on If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.

On the track “Deep Water,” Lamar spits, “They liable to bury him, they nominated six to carry him, they worry him to death, but he’s no vegetarian, the beef is on his breath.”

Does anyone remember Drake’s favorite number? That’s right- six.

Junior pre-physiology major, Michael Lasswell, said Kendrick and Drakes’ beef was necessary. “It’s a positive thing in my opinion because it adds excitement to the rap game when two of its finest go head to head.”

Diss Level: If you’re reading this, they’re both good kids

1) Drake vs. Meek Mill – The Superstar versus half-a-star

Where do we even begin with this beef?

Meek Mill became the laughing stock of the summer for accusing Drake of using ghostwriters. Ghostwriters write material for artists and receive no credit whatsoever, making it a controversial subject in the hip-hop industry.

Drake denied Meek’s claims with “Charged Up,” an eerie slow-paced track.

He didn’t name drop Meek, but that didn’t stop him from responding to the track.

Meek tweeted, “Baby lotion soft……”

Four days passed, and spiteful Drake put out another response track, suggesting he was dissing Meek Mill.

“Back to Back” was ferocious, hard-hitting and head-throbbing. As the whole Internet anticipated Mill’s response, defeat filled the dead air as he took to his leisure to counter Drake’s diss.

Mill finally released his rebuttal to Drake, “Wanna Know,” which was utterly disappointing.

Diss Level: Go home, Meek!

Follow Mark Flores on Twitter.