Former UA quarterback, now Rams quarterback Nick Foles catches up with the Daily Wildcat

Colin Prenger
Colin Prenger / Daily Wildcat #8 Nick Foles The UA Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins Thursday, Oct. 20. In his first game, Tim Kish won against the Bruins 48-12.

Nick Foles may be three years removed from Arizona, but the St. Louis Rams starting quarterback has not forgotten where he came from. 

Over the summer, the Daily Wildcat caught up with Foles at the Rams’ training camp. 

The UA record-holder in passing yards and touchdowns opened up about his recent contract extension, what he misses most about Arizona and what advice he would give Wildcats quarterback Anu Solomon. 

DW: You just signed a new two-year contract extension. How does it feel to have that under your belt going into the season?

Nick Foles: I’m very fortunate, and it’s very humbling just to be here. Since I got here, the team has embraced me and been wonderful. To sign a contract for a total of three years, it’s very exciting because this is a place my wife and I want to be. We love the team and the coaches so we’re very fortunate to be here. 

How is moving from one NFL team to another (Philadelphia to St. Louis) similar to when you transferred from Michigan State to Arizona? 

You build relationships wherever you go. Relationships have always been the most important thing to me. You get an opportunity to play with so many different guys from different backgrounds. You get to know their stories. When you leave, that’s the tough part, but I’ve been fortunate to play for two great organizations and it’s wonderful to be here in St. Louis.

What are some of your favorite memories from attending Arizona? 

I talk to guys [from Arizona] all the time. Guys get jealous once they go visit Arizona or they see the [UA] on TV playing a game. They’re like, ‘Dang, I wish I would have gone there.’ So I think just memories with my teammates there, the student body, going to class, just walking through the grass and palm trees, it’s the greatest place in the country to be a student-athlete. If my kids are athletes, I would want them to be student-athletes at Arizona.

Do you have any plans to go back to Tucson and catch a game soon?

My wife and I are going to try to get back there soon. I definitely talk to a lot of my old teammates that I’m really close with, and we all want to get together sometime and go there. Just to check it out, spend a weekend and try to visit some old people. We all love Arizona and talk about it all the time.

Are you able to follow the Wildcats football team? 

I’ll follow the team. I stay pretty busy, but I know that they’ve been doing awesome the last several years. All of the athletic department has been doing great. I know the facilities are outstanding now so as a Wildcat [alumnus], it’s always exciting to see that.

What advice would you give to sophomore quarterback Anu Solomon? 

I’ve been very impressed with how [Solomon] has handled himself. Just to be a young guy going in there and playing with the maturity he has. My advice is that the game is going to slow down for him, but don’t ever get complacent. I think he knows that, but every day strive to get a little bit better. Never get complacent, and always remain that team leader that guys look up to. He’s doing a great job, so I’m really proud of him.

Any prediction on the Wildcats’ upcoming season? 

I would love for them to continue to improve. I’m not going to say anything more than that I’m very proud of the team, what they play for and they’re representing the [UA] well. 

Follow Ezra Amacher on Twitter.