A new chapter of Arizona basketball, Media Day 2015

Tom Price
6 Arizona Men’s Basketball players show off their personality at UA’s basketball media day on Oct. 2. The event lasted an hour in the Richard Jefferson building on campus.

Arizona basketball is right around the corner and the team held its media day Friday. Arizona head coach Sean Miller held a press conference and discussed his players and what his hopes are for them this upcoming season.

Miller had nothing but high praise for senior center Kaleb Tarczewski.

“In Kaleb’s case, as most of you know, he’s an elite student,” Miller said. “He’s in the Eller School of Business. He’ll be one of the few student athletes that has an opportunity to graduate from that type of undergraduate program.”

Tarczewski averaged 9.3 points per game and 5.2 rebounds per game last season.

“On the court, for him to be a part of Team USA this summer, win a medal and then have the opportunity to be the all-time winningest player in the history of this school—Gabe [York] and him—is one heck of a thing.”

Tarczewski will be a part of a cast of four seniors that includes York, graduate transfer Mark Tollefsen and Ryan Anderson who redshirted last season for the Wildcats.

“As a senior, whether I like it or not, I have to be in that role,” York said. “Trust me, when I tell you, I like being in that role. I like being able to communicate throughout the whole practice and letting the younger guys know this is what you are supposed to do in this situation. I’ve been here for three years now and I’ve been through three hundred plus practices. I know how it works and I know the right way and the wrong way to do it.”

After losing four players from last year’s team, the Wildcats growth and development will be instrumental to how this season plays out. Miller believes the leadership from his seniors will provide a big boost to the team.

The Wildcats brought in four freshmen this season, highlighted by McDonalds All-American Allonzo Trier. Guard Justin Simon, forward Ray Smith and center Chance Comanche round out the talented young group.

“All of our freshman deserve tremendous credit,” Miller said. “It’s as easy to coach of a group that I’ve been around. You don’t have to apologize for trying to make them better. They love the game, they’re in the gym, they’re willing to learn and I think they’ve really leaned on those older players to show them the way.”

Miller also pointed out Arizona has won 67 games over the past two seasons. That ties Kentucky for the NCAA lead in terms of wins.

“That’s not something you just stick on a wall,” Miller said. “That’s something you have great pride in.”

Follow Kyle Hansen on Twitter.