Column: Bunny from hell; don’t skimp on legit adoptions

I had been entertaining the idea of getting a bunny for some time, but the hassle of filling out an application and waiting during the screening process at an animal shelter didn’t appeal to me.

As a result of my generation’s addiction to instant gratification, I turned to an option that I now fully regret: Craigslist.

I found an ad for a bunny that looked cute and fluffy and texted the contact. The next day, she was mine.

During our first encounter, she was shy and well behaved, and I thought I had won the jackpot of pet adoptions. I was so wrong.

Just three days later, my new bunny was charging me and my roommates, trying to bite us and rampaging through our house.

Contrary to the ad on Craigslist, she was not litter-box trained.

Maybe I was a bad bunny mom, or maybe this man had slipped the animal a Benadryl. The world will never know.

Now I know why there is an application and screening process at animal shelters and rescue centers. Not only have they had time to observe the animal, but they must also consider if the person’s home and lifestyle will be suitable.

Craigslist offers a place for people to sell virtually anything, but it should not be a place for animals.

Not only do those putting their pets up for adoption not know what type of person is going to adopt their pet, but potential owners have no idea about the history of the pet they’re adopting. It’s a lose-lose situation.

I adopted a rabbit having no idea what type of home she was used to, if she was spayed, if she had been abused or if she had all of her vaccinations.

Just because Craigslist is the most convenient option for college students doesn’t mean that’s how we should get pets. Especially because we are younger, adults can take advantage of us when it comes to payment or even the true history of an animal.

Some Craigslist ads will ask for a re-homing fee, which is similar to an adoption fee. Other users might be desperate to get rid of the animal, and their ads might read “free to a good home.”

One Green Planet published an article in April that detailed issues with “free to a good home” ads on Craigslist.

The article touched on the issues of animal cruelty and neglect. Many people troll Craigslist for pet ads in order to get free animals to sell for profit, use in breeding or even bait in dogfights.

However, Craigslist isn’t the only outlet for selling the most random things in your life—whether they are alive or inanimate objects. The Wildcat Marketplace and UA Free & For Sale Facebook pages open our doors even wider. While both require users to have a UA email in order to join the group, it’s still not the right place to sell an animal.

Right now on Wildcat Marketplace, users could sublease someone’s apartment or buy a television. Just like Craigslist, why has it become acceptable to put live animals in an ad next to skateboard wheels or a chemistry textbook?

In a city where we already have a large issue with stray cats and dogs, I am asking potential pet owners and adopters to take a few minutes to consider a more regulated adoption experience instead of meeting up with a weird guy in a parking lot.

Google Image search “ban Craigslist pets” and I guarantee you will think twice about buying a pet or selling one on this web market, but be warned: what you see will horrify and disgust you.

For now, I’ll stick to my fish.

Follow Trey Ross on Twitter.