PRVT Residence’s owner discusses fall’s biggest trends

An+assortment+of+neutrally-toned+garments+adorn+a+rack+in+PRVT+Residence%2C+a+local+boutique%2C+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+29.+The+shop+is+located+at+634+N+Fourth+Ave.+
    Victoria Peirera

An assortment of neutrally-toned garments adorn a rack in PRVT Residence, a local boutique, on Tuesday, Sept. 29. The shop is located at 634 N Fourth Ave.

Fall has officially commenced. This marks the beginning of cozy weather, pumpkin spice lattes and new style trends for the season. Alia Al-Rashid, owner of PRVT Residence boutique, gives the Daily Wildcat some advice on how to dress fashionably and effectively for Arizona’s chaotic, hot-and-cold fall weather.

Daily Wildcat: Tell me about your fall merchandise. What’s in right now?  

Alia Al-Rashid: Right now, what’s really in is the ’70s suede, hippy look. They’re going back to all the camel colors and studded little skirts and fringe. I have a lot of camel dresses and little short dresses, kind of [resembling] a Pocahontas style. That whole ’70s flare is in, and I have bohemian outerwear, but I’m carrying [clothes] for two types of girls. I’m carrying that [bohemian] style and then I’m [also] catering to the more minimal-grungy, which is what I would wear. I have a lot of basics and dusters, muted colors. … Pastel coats with the same type of dress under [are also really trendy]. I have the blush and greyish-blue dusters and just a lot of basics, and then I have my linen biker jacket.

What style of pants and shirts are in this fall season?

I have flowy tops. … What’s really in is a body suit that has a tie-up front. I’ve seen it everywhere, so I have a few of those in black and white. The other shirts I got are just loose-fitting, comfortable, easy to layer and more oversized fits for fall. Right now, what’s really in, like I said, is suede. Little suede skirts are really in. I [also] have these jeans that are ripped at the knee, so it gives a more edgy look with leather jackets… stuff like that is really good for fall.

How do you dress for the fall in this crazy Arizona weather?

I mean, everybody says, ‘oh, it doesn’t get cold here,’ but in the winter with dry-cold, you can pull off a super fuzzy sweater… [or] jackets that are really light. I guess my pieces are really easy to layer. You never know if it’s going to be warm [or cold], and you’re out all day—you need to [bring] something to go out with.

What’s different about this year’s trends compared to past years trends?

The whole minimal look, there’s been a lot of play with color-on-color. … Like, if you’re going to do gray, you do a whole gray outfit … that’s really different. I guess the ’70s isn’t the same. So dominant in suede [this season], we always see the hippy in the summertime, but we haven’t really seen fall ’70s hippy, so that’s fun. We have dresses that are suede and heavier materials.

Any do’s and don’ts for the fall season?

Always wear a leather jacket if you’re going for an all-black look if you can’t figure out what to wear because that never fails. Definitely play with textures if you’re going to layer. If you’re going to layer, textures in the fall and winter are fun to do. Don’t try so hard. Just let the pieces speak for themselves. Don’t try to overdo it because that never comes off good. Just be comfortable, and your outfit will always look better.

PRVT Residence is now open and hosts its official grand opening this Saturday.  

Follow Erika Para on Twitter.