Wildcat Cheat Sheet: Rich Rod rumors and recruit decommits

Sally Lynx / The Daily Wildcat
The Ghosts exhibition is on display at the University of Arizona’s Joseph Gross Gallery. The exhibition features the work of Ralph Ziman, a South African artist working to bring the realities of the African arms trade to light.

Defensive Back decommits

Arizona football saw its first fatality of the season in terms of recruiting Sunday when Josh Allen decommitted from the UA.

“This was a very tough decision that I had to make, I’d like to thank my parents, coaches, friends and teammates for everything you guys have done for me,” Allen said in a statement on Twitter.

The four-star defensive back out of Long Beach City College originally committed back in mid July. 247 Sports ranks Allen as the No. 1 defensive back in the California junior college system.

Many could argue that Arizona’s recent play and horrific losses gave way to Allen’s decommitment. The Wildcat defense has struggled, and Allen now is getting offers from big school countries all the way up to Alabama.

“I’d also like to thank all of the Arizona coaches for giving me this opportunity. … I feel like I committed too early to the UA,” Allen said.

Allen was one of Arizona’s most talented commitments. His loss will be a huge blow to the defense come next season.

Rich Rod job offers?

From the way the UA has played this season, I’m not sure how much longer Rich Rodriguez will be head coach at Arizona.

But the way his team has played the past two games doesn’t necessarily intrigue other schools. Rodriguez has looked furious on the sidelines, mainly because his offense has struggled to click.

Rodriguez’s name has now been thrown around at multiple head coaching vacancies around the country, including Miami and West Virginia.

It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the season goes for Rodriguez’s Wildcats. Greg Byrne is an athletic director genius, so I won’t be too surprised if Rodriguez stays at the UA.

Unfortunately, you will soon be hearing fans calling for his head if Arizona can’t figure itself out.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.