May the veep be ever in your favor

Tatum+Hammond
Tom Price
Tatum Hammond

Daniel Cerrito

Daniel Cerrito, a junior studying neuroscience and political science, is from Glendale, Arizona.

Cerrito is a member of the Knights of Columbus, a charity foundation at the St. Thomas More Catholic Newman Center at the UA, and is a member of their International College Advisory Board. In his role, Cerrito oversees thousands of college knights and works to support their community projects.

In addition to the Knights of Columbus, Cerrito is also a member of the Honor Student Council, a research assistant in the UA neuroscience department and works with a local doctor and his team to showcase different neurological exhibits at middle schools and high schools. These exhibits help motivate students to not only go to college, but to pursue a passion in the sciences, specifically neuroscience, according to Cerrito.

“The main reason I’m running is because I want to make a difference,” he said.

Cerrito is using his name, Dan, as an acronym for his platform.

“Diversity, Advocacy and Networking,” he said.

Cerrito fun fact: “Despite living in Arizona my entire life, I absolutely love the water. Whether it be surfing, playing on the beach or getting a tan,” Cerrito said. He also plays on UA’s water polo team.

Trey Cox

Trey Cox, a public health junior with a minor in political science, is from Phoenix.

Cox has been an Associated Students of the University of Arizona senator for the past two years.

“During my two terms in senate, I worked with other senators to pass a referendum that restructured the senate from 10 at-large representatives to 17 college-specific representatives and three at-large representatives, providing every college with a voice,” Cox said. “The reason I’m running is because over the last year I’ve been working a lot with clubs … trying to create more resources for clubs.”

According to Cox, this experience would transition well to the office of executive vice president, which directly oversees UA clubs.

Cox said he hopes to continue the senate restructuring and work to facilitate legislative processes by dividing the senate into five standing committees and hiring a parliamentarian.

Cox fun fact: “I applied to 10 schools and [the] UA was my very last one,” Cox said. “I didn’t want to come here, but I really love it now that I’m here.”

Stefano Saltalamacchia

Stefano Saltalamacchia, a first generation Italian-American, is from California and is a junior studying gender and women studies with a minor in Italian.

Treasurer for his fraternity, Delta Lambda Phi, and an active participant in the various culture centers at the UA, Saltalamacchia spends most of his time at the Women’s Resource Center, the office of LGBTQ Affairs and the African American Student Affairs.

“I’m naturally attracted to making change,” Saltalamacchia said. “After working with the cultural centers, I realized there was a need for a strong student voice-—a student voice that was cognizant of issues on campus.”

He wants to focus on holistic health, club presence and diversity awareness and outreach. Mental health awareness is important to Saltalamacchia, especially on a university campus where stress levels are high.

Saltalamacchia wants to establish Senate on the Mall, which gives students the opportunity to interact with ASUA and have a voice in an open discussion. Senate on the Mall would be in a town hall-style format with a pro, con and info mic.

Saltalamacchia fun fact: “I used to be a stripper for four years and my nickname was Big Rabbit,” Saltalamacchia said.

Tatum Hammond

Tatum Hammond, the current ASUA administrative vice president, is a junior studying English and graphic design from Gilbert, Arizona.

Hammond spends her time on campus giving tours as an Arizona Ambassador and is heavily involved in ASUA.

She has helped with Spring Fling, is a counselor for Bear Down Camp and is the co-director for the “I Will” campaign.

“I think there’s a lot I could do,” Hammond said. “One thing that I started this year was the ‘I Will’ campaign and I really grew to love it and I hope it’s something we can continue.”

Hammond would like to see the “I Will” campaign extended past just a week.

“One thing I want to work on is incorporating it into freshman education and having it at our orientation,” she said.

Hammond said her favorite aspect of ASUA is “the opportunity to do so much.”

“I get to do a lot of outreach and I get to talk to a lot of freshman and transfer students who want to get involved,” she said.

She added that it’s rewarding to see students she’s met at the beginning of the semester get involved in a club or organization and take on leadership roles.

Hammond fun fact: “It’s supposed to be humanly impossible to lick your elbow, but I can,” Hammond said.

Follow Amanda Oien on Twitter.