Student-run jewelry biz Outcharmed is on the rise on campus

Tom Price
    Samara Rosenthal, creator and owner of “Outcharmed”, answers questions on University Blvd. on Thursday, Sept. 15. Rosenthal is currently a sophomore Majoring in Retail and minoring in communications, with dreams of starting her own clothing line.

In the age of social media, it’s easier than ever to start a new business and easily reach a vast amount of people.

Pre-retailing and consumer sciences sophomore Samara Rosenthal is, likewise, trying to make a name for her clothing and jewelry line, Outcharmed, via marketing on Facebook and Instagram.

Rosenthal, a 19-year-old from Cave Creek, Arizona, has always had an interest in fashion.

RELATED: Local designers prepare to take the runway at Tucson Fashion Week

It was only two months ago, though, that Rosenthal decided to put her pre-retailing major to use by starting her own line of custom clothes and jewelry.

Rosenthal, inspired to make and sell items for less, began to tinker with the idea of starting up a business.

“There’s this store called LF in California that I went to and I saw these shirts that were $160, and I thought to myself that I could make this for so much cheaper,” Rosenthal said. “So I started making the shirts and chokers. People like my friends and family liked the stuff I was making, so I just decided to make a little business out of it.”

Outcharmed began picking up speed from word-of-mouth support in her hometown when Rosenthal asked her friends to model and wear her pieces around town.

From there, she went on to create Instagram and Facebook pages where anyone could order her handmade shirts and necklaces.

RELATED: Sophomore makes waves with his take on fashion films

Rosenthal credits her success here in Tucson to her fashion club and sorority members, who both spread the word about her products on campus.

With completely customizable T-shirts and necklaces made to order, it is no wonder Rosenthal’s business is gaining so much traction. Her pieces really are for everyone because customers can tailor and customize their purchases to their exact liking.

Outcharmed’s one-of-a-kind merchandise makes Rosenthal’s business stand out against other establishments.

“All of my stuff is customizable—you can make it whatever you want,” Rosenthal said. “If you see this and you want a beige string or a specific charm, I can do whatever the customer wants.”

Rosenthal named the company Outcharmed to keep with the brand’s theme of personalized, original products.

“I like being unique,” Rosenthal said. “I don’t like wearing the same thing that everyone else does, and I feel like the name Outcharmed represents that.”

The passion that Rosenthal has for creating is apparent and shines in her work.

Her attention to detail adds to her products and takes Outcharmed to the next level.

In the future, Rosenthal hopes to make a website and to continue making unique jewelry and clothing creations.

Follow Natasha Castanedo on Twitter.