Anu Solomon era over at Arizona: Quarterback set to transfer from program

Officials+escort+Arizona+quarterback+Anu+Solomon+%2812%29+off+the+field+after+he+suffered+a+concussion+while+playing+against+UCLA+at+Arizona+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+Sept.+26.+Solomons+concussions+is+just+one+of+many+injuries+Arizona+is+dealing+with.+
Tyler Baker

Officials escort Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon (12) off the field after he suffered a concussion while playing against UCLA at Arizona Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 26. Solomon’s concussions is just one of many injuries Arizona is dealing with.

Arizona redshirt junior quarterback Anu Solomon announced today that he will transfer from Arizona and open up his recruitment during the holiday break, per an Instagram post.

I first want to take this opportunity to thank Arizona Football for making me the man I am today, especially Coach Rodriquez & the Rodriguez family, Greg Byrne, the entire administration and staff, and of course the die-hard fans for absolutely everything to make my past 4 years at The University of Arizona worthwhile and unforgettable. God has a plan for me. I’ve prayed for direction, patience, and knowledge to know when it comes, and it is with a heavy heart to announce that I am transferring from The University of Arizona. Through much adversity, I will never forget those who supported me, stuck by me, and believed in me; God, my family, my girlfriend, and close friends. From highs and lows, and the unlucky injuries I suffered from the past 2 seasons, I am blessed to have a fresh start at another program to finish out my senior year. Thank you Tucson, & GOD BLESS! At this time I will be focusing on spending the holiday season with my family and ask for privacy as we decide on the next step in my college career.

A photo posted by Anu Solomon (@anusolomon) on

“I’ve prayed for direction, patience, and knowledge to know when it comes, and it is with a heavy heart to announce that I am transferring from The University of Arizona … I am blessed to have a fresh start at another program to finish out my senior year,” Solomon said.

Solomon spent three seasons as the starting quarterback and missed partial time last season dealing with a pair of concussions following the UCLA and Utah game as well as a knee injury suffered in practice after the week one loss against BYU.

Prior to Solomon’s injuries, he was viewed as the program’s quarterback after leading the Wildcats to a Pac-12 South championship, an appearance in the Fiesta Bowl and was even named to the watch list for the Maxwell Award for the College Player of the Year.

Solomon threw for 3,793 yards and 28 touchdowns his redshirt freshman season, leading all freshman FBS quarterbacks in passing yards.

Solomon’s transfer comes after Brandon Dawkins’ strong finish to the season against ASU, running for 183 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman quarterback Khalil Tate and four-star San Diego product Braxton Burmeister may also battle for the starting job.

There still isn’t word on where Solomon may go, but as a three-star prospect in Las Vegas in his Bishop Gorman High School days, UNLV and Hawai’i recruited him.

“At this time I will be focusing on spending the holiday season with my family and ask for privacy as we decide on the next step in my college career,” Solomon said in his post.  

Follow Justin Spears on Twitter.