Welcome letter from ASUA President Matt Lubisich

ASUA+President-elect+and+economics+and+political+science+junior+Matt+Lubisich+poses+for+a+picture+in+his+future+office+on+Tuesday%2C+March+21%2C+2017.+Lubisich+has+been+involved+with+ASUA+since+his+freshman+year.+
Rebecca Noble
ASUA President-elect and economics and political science junior Matt Lubisich poses for a picture in his future office on Tuesday, March 21, 2017. Lubisich has been involved with ASUA since his freshman year.

*Editor’s Note: This Column appeared in the Daily Wildcat’s 2017 Orientation Guide.

Dear incoming Wildcat,

My name is Matt Lubisich and I am your 2017-2018 student body president. As the official representative of over 40,000 students, I am honored to serve in this office.

Words cannot describe how truly excited I am to welcome you to the University of Arizona. This campus has been my home for the last three years, and I can honestly say that they have been the best three years of my life. 

From the moment I stepped onto this campus in the fall of 2014, I knew that this university was anything but typical. The students are unparalleled in their Wildcat spirit and pride, the faculty are exceptionally devoted and enthusiastic and the administration have an extraordinary commitment to higher education. 

Through the many opportunities this institution has granted me, I have garnered an unbridled passion and love for serving my fellow students. I have no doubt that soon enough, you too will come to cherish this unique place and bleed red and blue. You are about to embark on what has, for me, been an incredible journey of growth in maturity, responsibility and friendships that will last the course of a lifetime. 

If I could offer you one piece of advice it would be to take every opportunity to get involved. Aside from academics, this university offers so many unique ways to express yourself on this campus. From Greek Life to the over 600 student clubs and organizations here, I have no doubt that you will find your home. 

It is from my involvement in the various communities on this campus that I have met some of the most amazing individuals this university has to offer. It is these individuals who have become some of my closest friends and have pushed me to better myself and my community. My experiences here have only deepened my love for this university, and because of this, I will continue to strive towards making this community great for students, administrators and alumni alike.

With that being said, I would like to welcome you to our Wildcat Family. You are only here for a short period of time, so make the most of it! Do not be afraid to put yourself out there and try new experiences. It is in this moment that you have the incredible opportunity to find your unique voice here and offer your unique perspective to this place. Never lose sight of that. No matter what you do here, you are contributing to make this a better university for all.  

On behalf of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, I look forward to seeing all the incredible things you will accomplish here and am excited to represent you in this incoming year. 

As your Student Body President, your Wildcat experience is important to me. Whenever you are on campus, feel free to stop by our Student Government building located on the third floor of the Student Union or email me at asuapres@email.arizona.edu. If you are curious to know more about what we do as a student government, feel free to follow @ASUAtoday or follow me on twitter @UASBPresident. 

Bear Down,

Matthew John Lubisich

Student Body President

RELATED: New ASUA president details plans for 2017-2018 academic year

RELATED: Lubisich rises through ranks to ASUA presidency