Campus Guide’17: Our Wildcat journey together starts now

Heather Newberry

Dr. Robert Robbins, the new UA president, is interviewed by members of student media. Robbins emphasized his goal of becoming engaged with students and campus life.

Welcome to the University of Arizona! 

I hope you’re as excited as I am for the upcoming academic year. I’m very glad to be starting my first year as UA president as all of you start your journeys as Wildcats, and since this is a freshman year of sorts for all of us, I wanted to share with you some of the things I’ve done to get acquainted with the UA and Tucson:

•  I have talked with many people in the UA community. Whether they are other students, faculty, staff or community members visiting us, people here at the UA are warm and welcoming. I hope you take the chance to meet many of them, especially your professors and instructors — they’re just outstanding and can help you create your future in amazing ways.

•  I have taken many walks all over campus. In fact, I started exploring the UA even before I was named president. This is a beautiful place to work, learn and live, and there are so many opportunities for you to explore throughout the UA community.

•  I’ve been all over Tucson and Arizona, and the UA’s home is incredible. We have world-class culture, arts and food throughout the region, and downtown Tucson is going gangbusters. Even if you live on campus and don’t have a car, the SunLink Streetcar that runs throughout campus is a great way to see more of our hometown. If you like the outdoors, this is one of the most unique and beautiful places in the world. (We also have great golf — I can attest to the quality of courses from Tubac to La Paloma).

RELATED: Campus Guide ’17: Tucson metro and downtown are home to unique local businesses

Finally, I hope you’ll allow me to give you some advice. You’re at one of the world’s best universities. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished in joining this community and take advantage of everything the UA has to offer. If you connect with those around you and work hard, you will find that you have done some incredible things four years from now.

Congratulations on joining the University of Arizona, and have an outstanding year!

Bear Down!

— Robert C. Robbins

President,

The University of Arizona