Checking in with the 2016 Homecoming Court

They got the royal treatment last year as the 2016 homecoming court – but where are these Wildcats now, one year later? For Homecoming 2017, The Daily Wildcat takes a trip down memory lane with two members of last year’s court. 

Former Homecoming Court member Karyn Honda graduated in May earlier this year with a Bachelor of Arts in communication. Since graduating, she has attained a full-time position with Hello! Arizona Destination Management Company, where she assists in corporate event planning as a sales coordinator.

One year after Homecoming 2016, Honda said she looks back on her Homecoming experience as unforgettable.

RELATED:  Q&A: UA President Robbins on his first Homecoming as a Wildcat

“U of A is truly a family and homecoming is a whole week dedicated to celebrating all the wonderful things the university has to offer,” Honda said in an email interview. “I was very lucky during my undergrad to be surrounding by so many individuals who were involved, spirited and loved their time at the U of A as much as I did. Some of my dearest memories will always be from homecoming. I cannot wait to come back as an alumni!” 

To the current homecoming court, Honda advised trying to make the experience last.

“This opportunity is one that is humbling, knowing that individuals on campus look up to you and the most incredible time to enjoy the people around you,” she wrote. “Take the time this week to meet someone new, include everyone and appreciate this opportunity.” 

Despite only graduating five months ago, Honda already misses some of her UA experiences. 

“Something that is hard not to take advantage of while in school at U of A is the atmosphere you’re surrounded by every day,” Honda wrote. “I have definitely missed the endless of opportunities to get involved, the community and support system I was exposed to everyday, even if I did not realize it at the time.”

She also encourages current seniors to try and make the most of their time left on campus, as hard as that may be. 

RELATED:  A Mountain lighting kicks off Homecoming week 

“Don’t be scared. I remember all of senior year being so anxious and nervous for the next step after graduation,” she wrote. “Knowing that four years had flown by and I was about to enter “the real world”. Being a recent grad, I will tell you it is not as scary as it sounds. Be excited for what’s next for you, where you are supposed to be you will end up. Do what you can right now to pursue your passion and let the rest fall into place. Don’t spend your last semester scared of what’s next, savor what memories you have left, spend it with those who make you better, and Bear Down!”

Jacob Garlant, who was also on the 2016 Homecoming Court, is still on campus until he graduates in December. 

“It was one of the most fun weeks of my college career and made so many fun memories that week,” he wrote through a Facebook message. “It was so special being able to represent the university too.”

Garlant advises the current court to enjoy their Homecoming experience and one of the perks of being on the Homecoming Court.

“Enjoy the week and have fun, and also utilize the Dean’s Excuse to miss all of your classes,” he said.

This entire week is filled with events honoring alumni, so be sure to check out the calendar to see how you can Bear Down with generations around you. 

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter