Replace a guilty conscious with a full stomach

Typically my Monday afternoon commute to class is a vapid one. I don’t hear or see much bustle during this commute considering it’s the late afternoon. But this past week, I couldn’t help but overhear the conversations of two females, presumably freshmen, walking towards the Student Union.

Coming in at no more than five-foot and 115 pounds, this thinly framed freshman was recapping to her friend what she had eaten that day. “I’ve only had like, a granola bar and yogurt all day.”

Mind you, this was 5 o’ clock in the evening.

“Yogurt totally fills me up,” she continued. “It’s like, 250 calories. That’s basically a whole meal. If I want to maintain the weight I’m at now I need to watch what I eat.”

Being a fashion writer for the Daily Wildcat, I’ve heard countlessly the adage of “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” We live in a world were skinny is preferred over pudgy. But being a food writer as well, I can’t support this.

Sure, the Freshmen Fifteen can actually become reality to some, but don’t try to avoid it by counting calories and skipping meals [read: practicing in borderline anorexia].

If anything, you should be bypassing low carb or low sugar in place of a Highland burrito or a specialty burger from Lindys on 4th. Because the fact of the matter is, you’re in college. And let it be known that you will never have a metabolism like you do now, and you sure as hell won’t be able to eat like you do now either.

As a food writer, I’ve sunk my teeth into full size, carne asada burritos and barbecue sandwiches with extra onions, mustard and chipotle sauce all for the sake of the story. I don’t count calories when I do this, nor do I give a shit as to whether the silhouette of my body frame might be a little more filled out the next time I see my parents.

The best advice I could give any freshmen would be to stuff your face now and worry about calories later. College is about shedding your skin in place of new experiences, but if you’re stuck in a bubble of only yogurt and granola, you’ll never live up college to the fullest.