Clear 88° | 7 day forecast

Friday, October 24, 2014 | Last updated: 9:52am

Trending:
Go Listen

A protest against 'Nothing Was the Same' leak

Sunday night I received a text from a friend alerting me that Drake’s upcoming album, Nothing Was The Same, had been leaked. Curious, I opened my laptop and immediately saw my Twitter feed blowing up with links to the leak.

As I continued scrolling, I was bombarded with 140 character soliloquies provoked by the artist’s infamously sentimental lyrics. As I continued to read both critiques and praise for the album, I found myself resisting the urge to click on any links that would lead me to the leaked songs.

Album leaks are not an uncommon occurrence in today’s music industry, especially when it comes to highly publicized albums. It is arguable that leaked albums help artists more than they hurt them. The buzz generated on social media provides hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of free marketing and advertising. Just search #NWTS on Twitter and thousands of tweets talking about the album will appear.

I will admit with zero shame that I was waiting with girlish enthusiasm for Drake’s 3rd album. So why is it that instead of jumping at the chance to listen to it a full 9 days early, I felt cheated?

There is something inherently exciting about the moment you listen to the first notes of an album you have spent months waiting to hear. It is the combination of timing and the tangible product created by the artist that creates an experience almost magical in nature.

For me, to listen to an album before the artist’s official release date ruins the excitement of the entire endeavor.

So until the 24th, this purist vows not to listen to a single song not officially released by Drake off Nothing Was The Same. What will you do?

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Arizona Daily Wildcat.