Go Listen

Lorde's music is far beyond her years

Lorde, the newest music sensation taking over the nation, features New Zealand singer Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O’Connor. After releasing her first EP a year ago, Lorde’s latest single “Royals” debuted as the number one single on New Zealand’s Top 40, eventually landing her a spot on the Billboard Hot 100.

She’s currently featured as one of Spotify’s top artist with a live version of her album available to stream (and yes, it’s amazing). As if that wasn’t enough, Lorde is also the first New Zealand artist to have a number one song in the United States.

Oh, and did I mention she’s only 16? Just let that sink in for a minute.

At a time when most of us we’re barely learning how to drive and couldn’t get into an R-rated movie without parent permission, Lorde is selling out tours based off of an impressively sophisticated album that one would expect from a twenty-something. She has drawn attention from high profile celebrities, tabloids, and music magazines.

When I was 16, I was probably perfecting the “duck” face and making sure my MySpace profile background was just right.

As far as I’m concerned, Lorde is way ahead of her generation. Her sultry sound doesn’t focus on partying and drinking, but is poetic. This sound is both surprising and refreshing to hear coming from that age group.

Lorde is just at the beginning of her quick rise to fame and hopefully we will see a long career from this emerging artist. I, for one, anticipate great things coming from her and can’t wait to see what she’ll do next.