Clear 63° | 7 day forecast

Thursday, October 30, 2014 | Last updated: 5:57am

Trending:
POV: Politics

New Marvel series should not only be available on Netflix

If you are not a huge comic book nerd like I am and do not spend all of your free time surfing comic news sites, you may have missed the next big Marvel comics movies and TV news.

In 2015, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones are getting Netflix original series that will eventually come together for a team-up miniseries, “The Defenders.”

Normally, I would be completely psyched by this information. I have many good memories associated with these characters, mostly because I did not watch the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie.

Realistically though, getting the new point of view on the Marvel cinematic universe through the eyes of street level heroes sounds like a good time.

Despite the excitement I think I should be feeling, especially with the announcement of Drew Goddard as show runner and a writer for Daredevil, I am dreading the fact they will only be available on Netflix because it makes them exclusionary.

One of the things I most admire about Marvel making an interconnected cinematic universe is that it gives a sense of continuity without being overwhelming like comics can be. I know plenty of people who have enjoyed “The Avengers” without seeing “Thor.”

By only having these shows on Netflix, there are surprisingly large populations that will not get their chance to see this portion of the universe. Certainly, places like China, a large market for Marvel proven by the additional scenes that were shot for “Iron Man 3” that only aired in China, will be lacking on the experience, unless Netflix begins serving them between now and 2015.

Closer to home, having grown up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, Arizona, I know Netflix streaming is not an option for everyone. My parents can only watch Arrested Development season four when they are staying in hotels. They still get DVDs, but so far Netflix has yet to release any of its original series in that format.

I am going to watch them when they come out and I am going to keep mild levels of excitement. However, if the trend of Netflix producing exclusive content, the trend that helped kill Blockbuster, continues making things like the Marvel cinematic universe a public club with a specialty VIP area, I do not know that the brand will hold the same overall appeal.

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Arizona Daily Wildcat.