Clear 90° | 7 day forecast

Saturday, October 25, 2014 | Last updated: 3:52pm

Trending:
Wildcat Sports

Mauga sweeps softball national player of the week awards

The National Fastpitch Coaches Association and USA Softball announced that Arizona softball freshman right-fielder Katiyana Mauga has been selected as the national player of the week for the ninth week of the 2014 season. Mauga became the first freshman to win both awards in the same week.

“I want to thank the NFCA and USA Softball for the recognition, I am incredibly honored,” Mauga said in a press release. “I am proud of the way my team competed this weekend against Stanford, and I am happy I was able to help us pick up the sweep in front of our amazing home crowd.”

The No. 9 Arizona Wildcats swept a three-game series against Stanford last weekend, and Mauga was a big reason why. She batted .625 (5-8), scored six runs, hit four home runs and compiled 11 RBIs. Not to mention she hit a walk-off home run to win the final game of the series on Sunday.

Her performance helped Arizona improve to 32-8 on the season and 7-5 in Pac-12 play. Arizona head coach Mike Candrea said Mauga has already made an impression, even though she is only a freshman.

“I am very excited for Katiyana to receive recognition as NFCA National Player of the Week,” Candrea said. “Kati has made an immediate impact as a freshman, and her honor is well deserved. Hopefully, this is just the beginning of a great career at The University of Arizona.”

—Follow Roberto Payne @HouseOfPayne555

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Arizona Daily Wildcat.