NEWS

Student dies in car accident

1 other still in critical condition

Anthony Andrighetto, a member of Delta Chi fraternity, died and four others, including at least one other Delta Chi member, were injured during a car accident on Wednesday afternoon.

The accident occurred at 5:10 p.m. at the intersection of East Golf Links and South Wilmot roads. A total of five individuals were injured in the accident and transferred to local area hospitals. The other four victims are expected to survive their injuries, according to a release from the Tucson Police Department.

According to TPD, the accident occurred when a green minivan failed to yield before making a left turn from Golf Links Road onto Wilmot Road. A green Jeep Wrangler, carrying two of the victims, crashed into the side of the van and flipped into the air, crashing into the traffic pole at the intersection. Another victim driving a black Mazda Protégé attempted to swerve out of the way but crashed into a car in the left turn lane.

Pre-business student Sam Schmid was among those injured in the accident and transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center-University Campus last night.

Jo Marie Gellerman, public affairs coordinator for the center, said Schmid is still in critical condition at the hospital.

Michael Colletti, the president of the UA Interfraternity Council, offered condolences to those affected by the accident.

“The Interfraternity Council is deeply saddened at the loss of Anthony and wishes to offer our deepest sympathies to the members of Delta Chi, family and friends of those affected by this tragedy,” Colletti said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The fraternal bonds extend greater than our own respective chapters, and they have our whole community’s support during this difficult time. We wish those recovering a speedy recovery.”

Jessica Hermann, the president of the Panhellenic Council, said it was important for the Greek community to unite.

“Panhellenic is standing beside IFC in its time of need,” she said. “Through difficult times, we pull together in the Greek community, as we have in the past. I have no doubts that we will get through this together.”

Dante Andrighetto, Anthony’s brother, said Anthony had a “very big heart” and was “everyone’s best friend.”

“He meant a lot to a lot of people,” Dante Andrighetto said.

James Mullins, Anthony Andrighetto’s uncle, reiterated the point.

“He was such a great kid, great at sports and loved working with others at sports, He had a great smile and attitude,” Mullins wrote via email. “As Dante said he had a big heart, and was well loved by all family and friends.”

Mullins wrote that Anthony’s death was a “massive tragedy” to his family.

“He is and will be sorely missed,” Mullins wrote.

More details will follow on DailyWildcat.com as they become available.

— Luke Money

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Catherine Mifsud
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

I want to thank your reporters for getting all the facts correct. I taught Anthony as a Sophomore in high school and am saddened by the lack of correct information floating around the Tucson community. My prayers go out to the Andrighetto family as well as the others involved in the accident. I hope they all recover quickly.

Jannette Basham
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

I was 4 cars back in the left turning lane and saw the jeep as it went very airborne, high enough to hit the actual traffic lights (not the pole) that’s why the traffic lights went out at that intersection. Then landed on the right corner by the pole. I saw many military men surrounding him trying to help so I knew he was being taken care of until the ambulance came. I wanted to help so badly. All I could do was say a prayer. May he rest in peace and God be with his friends who saw it happen and his family and all those that were injured. I’ve been sick to my stomach since 5:05pm yesterday. Not the news I wanted to hear this morning. I’m so sorry to all that knew this young man.

KARLA GOMEZ
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. MY CONDOLENCES GOES OUT TO THE ANDRIGHETTO FAMILY. (ANTHONY IS MY BOSSES SON) FROM WHAT HIS BROTHER DANTE SAID HE HAD A BIG HEART AND ITS SAD TO SEE SOMEONE LIKE THAT GO SO TRAGICALLY.

Edwin Balli
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

My condolences go out to everyone I know in the Andrighetto family. Anthony was a great kid with a bright future. My prayers go out to his spirit and may he be at peace in heaven.

Gino And Tersilla
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

Anthony Was such a fine young Man. Always With That big Smile When God Created The Earth HE Thru Away The Mold Of Anthony. Rest In Peace. Your In Gods Hands Now.God Bless You Anthony

Gino And Tersilla

Brian Lane
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

We are keeping our brothers in our thoughts and prayers.

Delta Chi Cal U of PA Chapter

Bob
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

Anthoney was a great track coach

jake
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

ANTHONEY WASNT ONLY A GOOD COACH BUT HE WAS A GREAT PERSON HE WAS A GREAT SPIRIT AND GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY.

Brittney
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

Anthony was my cousin. I miss him so much. i am starting to see him everywhere now. today during my soccer game i felt him next to me pushing me to be better and to win. I love you anthony!!! <3

Carlos
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

Come unto me,all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto yours souls.
Mattew 11:28-29

Marlene Chavira
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

My son Jordan called me on Thursday and was very upset by this horrible news. I am truly sadden and have the family in my thoughts constantly through this trying time. Jordan played basketball with Dante and Anthony. The Andrighetto family have big hearts and are very kind. God bless you…..

Kathy Weiss
(12/31/69 5:00pm)

Anthony, you are loved by so many people. My son Shane was your good friend. May you rest in peace.