Club gives students acting and theater experience

Alexander Plaumann
    Alexander Plaumann / The Daily Wildcat Theater club “Students on Stage” have their first meeting of the year on Friday in the drama building on the University of Arizona campus. The theater club went over this years plans at the meeting.

When James Miscione began his freshman year three weeks ago, he was hesitant to declare a major in theater.

“I was not sure about committing to the acting major,” said Miscione, adding that he regularly participated in his high school drama program.

While he ultimately decided on neuroscience, he is one of several students who has joined Students On Stage, a campus club that allows students from any major to pursue acting — regardless of their level of experience — and gives them a chance to direct and perform. Students On Stage will hold auditions at the end of the month for “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot,” directed by theatre production junior Kalan Benbow.

“We let everyone in with big arms and happy faces,” said Alfred Gruber, Students On Stage’s head of public relations and a senior studying media arts.

Gruber said he fell in love with the theater environment after participating in a cabaret while studying abroad in Sydney.

“After studying abroad, I went searching for a performance outlet available to non-theater majors and found it in Students On Stage,” he said.

The most highly-anticipated event is a cabaret which will take place in December. Any interested students are encouraged to audition. Every cabaret show is free, Gruber added.

Other events popular with members are the various performance workshops — such as lessons on monologues and dance, said Students On Stage President and theatre arts junior Marty Aguirre. Every year, the club volunteers at the UApresents Children’s Festival, where they assist kids with creating paper plate masks, Aguirre said.

Students On Stage meetings include improvisation games and other theater activities.

“We want to add tools to our members’ acting belts,” said Students on Stage vice president and theatre arts junior Kelsie Williams.

Students on Stage meets every other Friday in Drama Addition in room 116.

Williams said she chose to become involved with Students On Stage because the club creates an environment where it’s comfortable to be herself.

“Students On Stage is like family bonding with fun people,” Williams said.