Spice up your date night

A+couple+on+a+date+take+in+the+view+from+Mount+Lemon.+
    A couple on a date take in the view from Mount Lemon.

With nearly 14,000 out-of-state students enrolled at the UA, local creative date ideas might not be obvious to everyone. It’s difficult to develop a plan if your only idea of Tucson mainstays are Dirtbag’s and No Anchovies. Still, the city offers plenty of date-worthy locations — the only tricky part is choosing which one is right for the two of you.

If you’re active

Get Air Tucson is everyone’s childhood dream in one large room. An indoor trampoline arena, Get Air boasts over 20,000 square feet of wall-to-floor fun.

“Basically, you just kind of jump around for a couple hours and maybe play dodgeball,” said Diego Armenta, a literacy, learning and leadership senior.

For a date that’s still active, but allows for more one-on-one time, there’s always Mount Lemmon. With plenty of trails, cool air and hole-in-the wall restaurants, Mount Lemmon is a staple of the Tucson dating scene. After hiking, drive to any of the area’s hidden gems, like Mount Lemmon General Store & Gift Shop and the Mount Lemmon Cookie Cabin.

Then, when night starts to fall and the temperature begins to drop, get comfy with a large blanket, watch the sun set and wait for the stars to come out.

“I’ve been up [to Mount Lemmon] a lot of times to just watch the sun set,” said Jesus Casillas, an engineering and business sophomore. “That’s always pretty fun.”

If you’re romantic

Casa Vicente, a Spanish restaurant nestled in the heart of downtown Tucson, offers live music and dancing coupled with traditional tapas dishes. Casa Vicente features live guitar playing every night and flamenco performances on Fridays and Saturdays. Tthe restaurant also houses tango lessons every Wednesday night, so you can impress your date with your sense of rhythm or share a laugh as you stumble over each other’s feet.

“In Spain, restaurants are really loud and people are talking,” said Meghan McKee, a server and hostess at Casa Vicente. “There’s lots of music, and that’s definitely what our atmosphere is all about.”

In addition to the sultry Spanish atmosphere, Casa Vicente also boasts authentic cuisine including tapas, Mediterranean-style dishes of smaller portions, typically served and shared in a group.

“Tapas are also [the] kind of dishes that are meant to be shared, so that’s a fun date thing,” McKee added. “You both can experience the date together.”

If you want something different

If the two of you are into community service, an afternoon at Ben’s Bells could be a relaxing date, said Allison Burnette, a lead instructor of Campus Life and Project FOCUS. Made in honor of Jeanette Mare-Packard and Dean Packard’s son Ben, “Ben’s Bells symbolize kindness and its power in healing,” according to the organization’s website. Drop by the studios at Main Gate or downtown to help paint or work with clay from 10 a.m to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.

If you’re up for a bigger art project, Creative Juice Art Bar on Tanque Verde Road offers a happy hour with drinks, music and painting for those over 21.

For a twist on the typical dinner and a movie, check out the Etherton Gallery on South Sixth Avenue for great local art, then walk down the street to the Hub Restaurant and Creamery. Nothing is more romantic than sharing a bowl of Thin Mints ice cream in a rustic, dimly lit atmosphere.