Arizona archery aims for nationals

Courtesy of Arizona Archery Club / Sandra Childress, a member of the Wildcat archery club, competes at the Western Intercollegiate Archery Championship at UC Irvine. Childress qualified for the U.S. Intercollegiate Championship.

Members of Arizona’s archery club team qualified for the 2014 U.S. Intercollegiate Archery Championship, to take place in May in Long Beach, Calif.

Club president Katie Alexander and team members Sandra Childress and Raxon Cho qualified for the outdoor nationals last month at the Indoor Western Intercollegiate Archery Championship at UC Irvine.

“This is probably the biggest travel team we’ve had since the club started about five years ago,” Alexander said. “To have three people competing is exciting.”

Alexander placed first in the qualification round and was awarded bronze in her final round for women’s individual Olympic style re-curve division with an overall two-day score of 1062.

For the women’s individual basic bow division, Childress placed fifth in the qualification round and was awarded bronze in her final round with an overall two-day score of 802.

Cho shot in the individual male re-curve division and scored a total of 561 points over the two-day qualifications.

Childress’ archery equipment was stolen out of her home during spring break, leaving her in a difficult situation just a few weeks before the Western Regionals in California.

“I am fortunate that my friends and family came together to help me get the equipment I needed,” Childress said. “I am surprised I performed as well as I did using new equipment, and I am appreciative of my friends’ and family’s support.”

As a new member of the Wildcat Archery club this year, Childress said that she is looking forward to shooting at nationals.

“The national championship is being held where the 1984 archery Olympics was shot,” Childress said. “It’s cool that we are able to shoot where some of the best archery shooters have shot.”

Alexander, Childress and Cho will compete individually in separate divisions for nationals in May. Alexander and Cho will additionally compete in a mixed-team division.

“The top two competitors from each club that are male and female are able to shoot mixed team,” Alexander said.

Childress said that the archery club is looking to recruit more students and hopefully become recognized as an NCAA sport.

“We are not included in [the] NCAA, so we have no budget,” Alexander said. “With no budget or equipment, it is hard to get students to join our club if they have to purchase all-new equipment to join.”

The 2014 U.S. Outdoor Intercollegiate Archery Championship will be held at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, Calif. May 15–18.

—Follow Daniela Vizcarra @vizcarra_dw