Men’s rugby christens newly dedicated Sitton Field with win over ASU

Devin Means
Devin Means / The Daily Wildcat Kathleen “Rocky” LaRose, former deputy director of athletics, gives a speech during the ceremonial changing of Cherry Field to former Arizona rugby head coach David Sitton Field on March 29th at the newly renamed David Sitton Field.

The No. 15 Arizona men’s rugby team defeated No. 12 ASU 51-38 on Saturday, the 45th anniversary ceremony of the Arizona rugby program.

In front of a large crowd filled with UA rugby alumni at the newly renamed William David Sitton Field in Tucson, the Wildcats upset rival ASU.

The win comes after a loss to No. 5 UCLA, and is the first PAC Conference win of the season for newly hired head coach Sean Duffy and the Wildcats.

“It was an exciting game,” Duffy said. “ASU is a class program and it was a special day to win. It was amazing.”

Earlier this season, the Wildcats tied the Sun Devils 26-26 at ASU.

Saturday was also the renaming and dedication of Cherry Field to honor former head coach Dave Sitton. The late coach headed the UA’s rugby program for nearly 40 years before he died in 2013. The William David Sitton Field will be the new permanent home for UA men’s rugby team.

Sitton’s daughters, Blakeney and Olivia Sitton, spoke Saturday on behalf of the Sitton family and shared their memories of their father coaching UA rugby.

“It was great to have the support of the Sitton family to come out to the dedication of the field and cheer on the ’Cats,” Duffy said.

The Wildcats’ next two games of the regular season will be on the road against Notre Dame and Oregon State.

Notre Dame will host Arizona for the second annual Parseghian Cup. Donations to the Parseghian Cup help fund research for Niemann-Pick disease Type C, also known as NPC.

The Wildcats won the first annual Parseghian Cup last year defeating the Irish 17-5 in Tucson on Murphy Field at Mulcahy Stadium. The team raised over $25,000 for the Ara Parseghian Research Foundation to help fund research.

Depending on the last two games of the regular season, the Wildcats could qualify for the 2013-14 Emirates Airlines USA Rugby College National Championships and play in the Sweet Sixteen.

The game against Notre Dame will be on Saturday. The Wildcats will travel to Oregon State on April 12.

—Follow Daniela Vizcarra @vizcarra_dw