News bites: April 9

On the menu
Dr. Andrew Weil, founder and director of the UA Center for Integrative Medicine, is working on updating the menu for patients at the University of Arizona Medical Center. Weil co-owns two restaurants and is working on purchasing a third with his two business partners, and the three have written a cookbook together titled “True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure.”
The recipes Weil plans to incorporate into a new menu for UAMC come from his cookbook, and include Tuscan kale salad, wild salmon and curried cauliflower soup. The goal of the collaboration between Weil and UAMC is to fight the misconception that hospital food is bland and unhealthy.

Catch a “Lyft”
A new car service was launched in Tucson last Friday. Named Lyft, the service is similar to the popular car service Uber. Lyft is an app that gives users access to drivers from the community who have been through background checks, providing a ride to anyone who may need it. Lyft cars are identifiable by the furry pink mustaches attached to the front grill of the car.

Primary care
UAMC was named in the 2014 edition of the “100 Greatest Hospitals in America,” a list compiled by “Becker’s Hospital Review” out of Chicago. The list compiles the 100 hospitals that provide the best patient care, serve as academic hubs and house forward-thinking breakthroughs in both science and medicine. UAMC was one of three hospitals in Arizona to be included on the list. It is the third year UAMC has been included in this annual compilation.

Spin the wheel
Steven Palmer, a physiology senior, is set to compete on Wednesday evening’s episode of “Wheel of Fortune” for the show’s College Week. Palmer filmed the episode in Los Angeles, competing against students from across the country. Palmer is the first UA student to appear on “Wheel of Fortune” since 2009. The episode will air Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. on ABC.