Q&A with Arizona Hockey’s newest captain

Wildcat hockey defenseman, Shane Gleason was dubbed the program’s third captain in as many years on April 8. He just completed his junior campaign as an assistant captain and will succeed senior winger, Ansel Ivens-Anderson.
Gleason was unanimously chosen by his teammates to wear the “C” on his sweater. It was the first time the team captain was unanimously selected under third-year head coach, Sean Hogan.
At the team banquet, Gleason was also given the first-annual Wildcat Hockey Breakaway Booster Club’s, “Seventh Man” award. The honor was given to him for his involvement in the community and efforts while not laced up in skates.
In the 2013-14 season, Gleason scored five goals and assisted 25, helping lead Arizona to its first national tournament appearance in almost a decade. In three years with the team, he has played in 104 games and earned 58 points on eight goals and 50 assists.
Gleason was also honored as a selection of the Second Team All Western Collegiate Hockey League Association for his efforts last season.

The Daily Wildcat got the chance to talk to Gleason about his new major role in the program.

DW: Every single person on Wildcat hockey wanted you to be their captain. What was your initial reaction to finding that out?

Gleason: It’s a great honor and I do a lot of stuff with helping out and trying to make the team look good, just because I want to grow the program. I’m just trying to help 28 guys play better hockey and they all liked the way I did it.

You are taking over for Hogan’s former captains, Brian Slugocki and Ansel Ivens-Anderson. What have they taught you about being a leader?

I learned a lot from both Brian and Ansel. But the number one thing I’ve learned from them is you can’t always be everyone’s friend, but you have to be a good teammate. They picked you to be their leader, so they want to listen to you, so you have to be stern.

This past season you got the opportunity to play an important role as the assistant captain. How will that experience help you out heading into your senior year?

It prepared me the best I can hope for. With Ansel [Ivens-Anderson] getting hurt, [Andrew] Murmes and myself were dealing with a lot of the captain’s duties together. So I’m sure it will be a smooth transition.

Wildcat hockey is expected to have a larger recruiting class for the upcoming season. In what ways will you help groom them for the future of the program?

We had some great freshman this year and hopefully we take care of them [the new recruits] the same way. You just take them under your wing and make everything easier for them with school and adjusted to being a freshman. I want to make things easier for them on the ice and improve them so they can perform for us.

Last season you told me the summer went well as far as training and working out goes. What are your goals for this summer?

Last summer was the most important one I’ve ever had, this one will be more important. I just want to get a little bigger and stronger and stay on the ice when I can. You always want to get better and there’s a lot we can improve on, not just so we can make it to nationals again next year, but win it.

—Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo