Next year’s ASUA officials inducted

Savannah+Douglas+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat+%0A%0ANew+members+were+inaugurated+into+ASUA+on+Thursday+in+the+Union+Kiva+room.+
Savannah Douglas
Savannah Douglas / The Daily Wildcat New members were inaugurated into ASUA on Thursday in the Union Kiva room.

The positions of the 2013-2014 ASUA elected officials have been handed on.

The 2013-2014 ASUA members passed on words of wisdom and keepsakes to the incoming elected officials in the Student Union Memorial Center Kiva Room on Thursday. Former and current Associated Students of the University of Arizona members, UA staff and family attended the inauguration.

ASUA President Issac Ortega, Executive Vice President Jordan Allison, Administrative Vice President Daniel Douglas and 10 elected ASUA senators were sworn in for the 2014-2015 school year by
Supreme Court Chief Justice Eddie Walneck.

The 2013-2014 ASUA Administrative Vice President Amanda Lester welcomed those gathering for the inauguration.

“To those of us lucky to hold this position,” Lester said, “it is both life-changing and irreplaceable.”
Lester offered a thank you to her executive team, holding back tears, and brought Douglas to the podium.

Douglas is now in possession of the prized keepsakes of his office: the AVP inspiration book containing quotes from previous administrative vice presidents and the spirit stick for Bear Down Camp.

Before inaugurating Allison, 2013-2014 ASUA Executive Vice President Danielle Novelly had her last opportunity to speak while holding an ASUA position.

“This position truly reaches the most students,” Novelly said, “as every single day the executive vice president meets, works with and helps students further their passions in clubs and organizations.”

Morgan Abraham, 2013-2014 ASUA president, took the chance to acknowledge the friendships he had formed through the year and thank the entire ASUA team.

Abraham passed down the spirit stick for the UA and a hockey stick that belonged to John “Button” Salmon, both of which are kept in the president’s office. Abraham then pulled Ortega aside and told him the “president’s secret” before stepping down.

“You were ready to go the second you got elected,” Abraham said to Ortega, “and it was only a matter of time before you kicked me out of office.”

During his inauguration speech, Ortega spoke of the promises he had made in his platform, including the promise to put forth his full effort.

“I am really proud of all the senators and the newly elected VPs and I am really excited to get to work,” Ortega said. “I was a little nervous giving my speech, but I am really glad I had the opportunity to speak for the first time and say some things that were really on my mind.”

Ortega said his first plans as president are to work with the newly appointed diversity director and build a new face for diversity inside and outside of ASUA this summer.

Ortega said his determination is driven by the desire to ensure his platform goals are realized.

“You know what, you can try to fill another’s shoes,” Ortega said, quoting advice he received from previous ASUA presidents, “but at the end of the day, you wear your own shoes.”