The best Arizona sports moments of 2013-14

Rebecca Marie Sasnett

1- Rebecca Marie Sasnett / The Daily Wildcat
Redshirt junior Candice Warthen lays the ball up during Arizona’s 68-49 win over No. 11 ASU on Feb. 9. The win was the Wildcats’ first over their rivals since 2011.
2- Courtesy of Arianna Grainey
Arizona celebrates its win over ASU on Feb. 1. The Wildcats snapped their 37-game winless streak against the Sun Devils on ASU’s senior night.
3- File Photo/ The Daily Wildcat
Ka’Deem Carey reacts to a touchdown made during the 42-16 win against the Oregon Ducks. Carey rushed for a net 206 yards in the win over No. 5 Oregon.
4- File Photo / The Daily Wildcat
Freshman Laura Larson bumps the ball during Arizona’s 3-0 win over No. 1 USC on Oct. 20. The win was the Wildcats’ first over a top-ranked team since 1993 and their first sweep of a No. 1 team.
5- Mark Armao / The Daily Wildcat
Kevin Cordes is the current American record holder for the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke. Cordes won both the 100y and 200y breaststroke events at the NCAA Championships.
6- File Photo / The Daily Wildcat
Forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson goes for a rebound during the 65-56 win against Utah on Jan. 26. The Wildcats were ranked No. 1 for a school-record eight weeks during the 2013-14 season.

Men’s basketball earns No. 1 ranking, holds it for eight weeks

The Arizona men’s basketball team achieved one of its most successful regular seasons ever. The Wildcats earned a modern school record of 21 consecutive wins and finished the season 33-5.

Arizona was also ranked No. 1 in the country for a school record of eight consecutive weeks, but then lost 60-58 at California.

Luke Della
Follow Luke Della @LukeDella

Football makes No. 5 Ducks see red

After losing at home to Pac-12 Conference doormat Washington State the week before, it looked like Arizona didn’t have much of a chance against No. 5 Oregon.

However, the Wildcats, led by Ka’Deem Carey’s record-setting performance, beat the Ducks 42-16 to earn Arizona’s first win over a top-five foe since 2007.

James Kelley
Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520

Hockey snaps Sun Devil skid

Arizona hockey’s finest moment of the 2013-14 season came on Feb. 1, with a 2-1 victory at ASU.

It was the first time the Wildcats beat the Sun Devils on the ice since Feb. 21, 2009, ending a 37-game streak. Even sweeter for Arizona, the win came on ASU’s senior night.

Joey Putrelo
Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo

Cordes dominates, again

In March, Kevin Cordes charged to victory in both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke events at the NCAA men’s swimming championships.

Cordes is the American, U.S. Open and NCAA record holder in both events. For his accomplishments, the junior was named Pac-12 and NCAA Swimmer of the Year.

Mark Armao
Follow Mark Armao @MarkArmao

W hoops shocks No. 11 ASU

One of the lone bright spots in an otherwise forgettable 2013-14 Arizona women’s basketball season was the 68-49 victory over No. 11 ASU in McKale Center on Feb. 9.

The win over the Sun Devils was the only win the Wildcats secured in their 18 conference regular-season games.

Roberto Payne
Follow Roberto Payne @HouseOfPayne555

Indoor volleyball sweeps No. 1 USC

In October, Arizona indoor volleyball beat No. 1 USC 3-0 in McKale Center to record its first win over a top-ranked team since 1993. It was also the Wildcats’ first-ever sweep over a No. 1 ranked team.

The Wildcats went 16-3 at home and made their 25th trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2013.

James Kelley
Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520