Police Beat: June 18

Woman takes just the tips

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was flagged down near the businesses along University Boulevard between Park Avenue and Euclid Avenue on June 11 by a business owner who complained that a woman had stolen money from his business’ tip jar.

The woman matched the description of a woman who UAPD had been advised to keep an eye out for in the area. The woman had been accused of shoplifting from a local business near University Boulevard and was not allowed back in any of the businesses and possibly not on any of the businesses’ properties.

The responding officer attempted to locate the woman and was informed that security observed her jump over the west wall of the UA Visitor Center on the northwest quad of Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard.

The officer was informed by a witness in the lot that he had seen her running through the lot where she went on to jump the wall and flee on foot westbound down an alley.

UAPD was unable to locate the woman.

Administration aggravation

UAPD responded to a report of a UA student allegedly causing a disturbance at the Administration building.

Witnesses inside the building said that the student came in and initially didn’t take a number to be helped and after a few minutes took a number and went outside to smoke a cigarette.

An employee stated that the student became agitated after he believed that his number had been skipped and the employee had been helping out another person instead of him.

The employee told the student that the numbers must have gotten mixed up and that they would help him as soon as they were finished helping the person who was already in the window to which the student went on to tell them that they need to hurry up and that “this wasn’t a resort.”

Witnesses said the student was speaking a different language and at one point told them to “shut your mouth.”

UAPD was informed by a record check that the student had a court-ordered mental health evaluation out of Tucson Police Department. The TPD Mental Health Unit then responded to the location and UAPD had no more involvement in the case.