Campus Guide: Best campus locations to read

%09Photo+Illustration+by+Mia+Moran+%2F+Arizona+Summer+Wildcat%3A+The+UA+campus+has+many+scenic+areas+for+both+reading+and+studying.+For+new+college+students%2C+reading+can+be+an+outlet+from+the+stress+of+adjusting+to+university+life.+

Photo Illustration by Mia Moran / Arizona Summer Wildcat: The UA campus has many scenic areas for both reading and studying. For new college students, reading can be an outlet from the stress of adjusting to university life.

_Editor’s note: This article is part of the Arizona Summer Wildcat’s 2014 Campus Guide. The Campus Guide is a special issue that runs every year to help introduce incoming students to the UA and campus life._

If you were like me your first year of college, half the items you brought from home were necessities like toothpaste and Top Ramen, and the other half were books. Luckily for us avid readers, the UA is sprinkled with hidden nooks that are ideal for settling down and diving into a new book. These are a few of my favorite spots I’ve found throughout the years, and hopefully, you’ll find your own literary haven at the UA.

*Park Avenue Greenbelt*
    This picturesque walkway that runs parallel to Park Avenue is lined with olive trees that provide shade and natural air conditioning, almost making you forget you’re in the middle of the desert. There are several benches nestled along the route, making it a perfect destination to crack open a book and relax for a while.

*Starbucks on University Boulevard*
    Forget the two Starbucks locations on the UA campus. Those may be good for a pick-me-up between classes, but they are far too noisy to enjoy your latest read. The short walk down University Boulevard offers a quaint Starbucks renovated from an old house that includes a reading and study room off the main area, for those of you who like authentic café ambience as a soundtrack to your novel. Since this Starbucks location is open until 11:30 p.m. most weekdays during the school year, you have all night to sip on a cappuccino and bury yourself in a stack of books.

*Heritage Hill*
    Located in the center of campus, this grassy knoll just across from the UA Mall and nestled in between the Student Union Memorial Center and Administration building is the perfect spot to settle down with a blanket and a book. I recommend this spot only for weekend afternoons or mornings, as the hustle and bustle of the school day and occasional preacher could interrupt your reading experience.

*Fifth Floor of the Main Library*
    In general, the entire library is designed as a quiet place to read or study, but if you’d like a nice view, the fifth floor of the library is where it’s at. If you turn right from exiting the elevator, the ledge of desks on the top floor overlooks the campus and gives a stunning view of the Santa Catalina Mountains. The Main Library is open 24 hours during the week, just make sure you have your CatCard if you plan to pull an all-nighter.

*Poetry Center*
    I can’t think of a better place to indulge in literature than the UA Poetry Center, also known as the Helen S. Schaefer Building. The Poetry Center contains multiple reading areas and comfy armchairs, all contained within the beautifully constructed modern glass architecture located on Helen Street and Vine Avenue. If you are in desperate need of something new to read, the Poetry Center contains one of the most impressive collections of contemporary poetry in the country. The Poetry Center’s hours vary, but during the week it opens at 9 a.m. and remains open through at least 5 p.m.

*Dorm Room or Apartment*
    Let’s be honest — sometimes us bookworms just want to stay in bed, snuggle up with a blanket and a cup of tea and enjoy our book from the comfort of our own room. A lazy afternoon in bed with a book is my recommended medicine for homesickness or new-school-year stress, and with monsoon season still going strong, the thunder and rain will make you feel extra cozy and comfortable.