Police beat: July 2

A rocky situation

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was dispatched to a UA fraternity house around 8:30 p.m. last week, in response to a criminal damage report. The fraternity house had two broken windows on different sides, estimated at approximately $300 in damages.

Evidence suggested that someone had thrown rocks through the windows and the officer took photographs of the damage. There was no report of missing valuables.

There is no further information about the property damage or potential suspects at this time.

Bamboozled by bilingual letter

Last week, the Dean of Students Office reported receiving a suspicious letter from Hong Kong. The letter was not addressed to a specific person, was not in an envelope, and contained both English and Chinese writing. A translator was called but was not located at the time of the report.

Although there were no apparent threats in the letter, employees in the the Dean of Students Office wanted UAPD to be informed.

The letter was taken as evidence to UAPD.

Private pooper

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for criminal trespassing at the Study Abroad and Student Exchange building at approximately 4:20 a.m. on Monday.

Office staff had reported finding human excrement numerous times outside of the building. The man had reportedly climbed over a 4-foot wall into the backyard of the building, where he was found sleeping with a backpack and guitar. The man told police that he is homeless and plays guitar on the street for tips. He was found to have nine previous arrests from UAPD for various crimes including trespassing, urinating in public and a DUI. He was cited and released.