Ducey wins out crowded GOP field

Election time has returned to Pima County, or Arizona 2nd Congressional District, as Congress refers to the area. Running for state governor, the Republican vote went to State Treasurer Doug Ducey, who won the GOP primary with 23,844 Pima County votes against five other opponents. Emerging from the primaries uncontested was Democratic nominee, Fred Duval.

Winners for the Republican secretary of state were Michele Reagan,and for the Democrats, Terry Goddard, who earned their nominations, the former with 44 percent and the latter with 98 percent of the votes. The victor for state treasurer was Republican Jeff DeWit, and the attorney general vote went to Mark Brnovich with the Republicans and uncontested Felecia Rotellini for the Democrats.

A swift victory came in the primaries for the House of Representatives, where previous winners Martha McSally and Rep. Ron Barber won. Martha McSally, the local Republican favorite, emerged victorious in her party’s primary with 69 percent of the vote against Kais Shelley and former United States Air Force Chief Master Sergeant Chuck Wooten. Ron Barber ran undisputed in District 2 for the Democratic primary, pitting him against his previous opponent, McSally, in the general elections in the coming months.

Follow Michel Sanchez @DailyWildcat