Evanescence singer goes solo

Courtesy of Silvio Tanaka

Amy Lee performs with Evanescence at the Maquinária Festival on November 8, 2009 at the Chácara do Jóquei in São Paulo, Brazil. Lee’s new album is her first solo project.

How does one go from writing rock music to composing a film score? Just ask Amy Lee of the band Evanescence.

Lee released her first solo project away from Evanescence in an album entitled Aftermath.

Lee developed a musical background as a choir alto singer before co-founding Evanescence in 1995. Although choir and film music seem to be quite different from each other, the connection is still there.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Lee mentioned that she wanted her first solo album to be completely different from what she did before.

“I’ve flexed that muscle so much,” she said. “I wanted people to see different sides of me.”

There is no denying it is different, but there is an Evanescence-feel to the music at times. This is perhaps most prevalent in the song “Remember to Breathe.”

When listening to the song, the pacing of the violins reminds me of the song “Hello,” from Evanescence’s Fallen album. The similarity is probably because of Lee’s musical style and dark tone. Another similarity is the violins’ sporadic pitch, which is reminiscent of “Lacrymosa,” from Evanescence’s The Open Door album.

However, there are songs that are a major break from Lee’s old Evanescence style. For instance, “Dark Water,” which features Moroccan singer Malika Zarra, is an Arabic-style song.

“Push the Button” also differs from Evanescence songs with its experimental use of synthesizers instead of guitar and drums.

However, the lyrics maintain a similar introspective approach as Evanescence.

“We force it down,” Lee sings, “put on a play to hide our shame.”

If you look at the song in context of what Lee said in her interview with Rolling Stone, her willingness to try new things transforms the song into an outlet for Lee to confess her disbelief at having a chance to compose a film score.

The rest of the songs have their own differences from Lee’s Evanescence style, as well as fall more into the film score category.

Will you like Lee’s first attempt at a new style? That’s for you to decide. “It’s always nice when they like it,” Lee said. “But I never make music to that end … if I make something that I love, I know there are people like me who will love it too.”

Follow Ivana Goldtooth @goldiechik93