Loft screens Williams’ repertoire

Robert Gauthier
    Comedian Billy Crystal, bottom right, pays tribute to the late Robin Williams during the 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards at Nokia Theatre at L.A. Live in Los Angeles on Monday, Aug. 25, 2014. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

This past summer, the country experienced the loss of a true artist. In light of Robin Williams’ recent passing, the Loft Cinema will be screening three of the actor’s films this Labor Day weekend.

“A lot of people were shocked when he passed, and we kind of felt like we needed to do something,” said Jeff Yanc, the program director of the Loft Cinema.

“Jumanji,” “Good Will Hunting” and “Hook” are the three Williams films chosen to screen. With two of these films being very family friendly, Yanc said that the intention is to target kids who will be out of school this holiday weekend.

“With Robin Williams, we get a wide demographic,” Yanc said, “and that’s kind of why we wanted to do it over Labor Day weekend.”

The 1993 fan-favorite “Mrs. Doubtfire” notably is not on the roster of films. Yanc said that it couldn’t be screened this weekend because once a famous actor or director dies, the studios start pulling their films out of circulation, so it was not available.

Don’t be saddened too much if a film favorite of yours didn’t get selected. Yanc added that some of Williams’ other films, like “Dead Poets Society,” may be screened in the theater’s ongoing Late-Night Cult Classics series. Yanc said that the modernized Peter Pan epic “Hook” was chosen because many Loft fans asked why the Steven Spielberg fantasy was not shown last month, during a screening of the director’s films.

With the list of films to be screened this weekend, there are unintended, intriguing themes underlying all three: childhood innocence and the tragedy of growing up.

“It’s interesting that both ‘Jumanji’ and ‘Hook’ [are] about being a kid and growing up and [trying] to remember what it was like being a kid,” Yanc said.

The film “Good Will Hunting” is also about Matt Damon’s character growing up, as he is counseled by Williams’ character on life. Williams won his only Academy Award for this film.

In a way, it’s almost as if Williams is still with us. These films all show a sensitive, vulnerable, almost childlike side to the comedic actor.

The proceeds from the money made from the three screenings will be given to COPE, a local nonprofit healthcare organization for behavioral and physical healthcare, which addresses general mental, health and substance abuse issues.

“That’s always the trick when we do these tributes,” Yanc said. “You’re worried about trying to capitalize on someone dying.”

Go and have a good time reliving some of your childhood memories by escaping to Neverland with Peter Pan or by rolling the dice on an otherwordly board game. Tickets are available to purchase now over the phone or online on the Loft Cinema’s site. General admission is $3 per screening, and admission is $2 for Loft Members.

Follow Ivana Goldtooth @goldiechik93