Two UA students share their summer internship experience

Courtesy of Kendall Stokes

Systems engineering sophomore Kendall Stokes spent the summer at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

What did you do over your summer break? Did you meet family? Did you fight in a political battle? Did you travel to the rain forest? A good way to do all of this would be to apply to an internship of your interest.

Kendall Stokes, a systems engineering sophomore, and Julian Sharpe, a business economics freshman, both spent their summers expanding their horizons with internship positions outside the academic setting. Here is what they had to say about their recent experiences:

Daily Wildcat: Can you tell us a little bit about your internship experience this summer?

Kendall Stokes: “I interned with the REVAMP REU. This stands for the Research Experience for Veterans and Minority Students Program at the Georgia Institute of Technology.”

Julian Sharpe: “I am interning with Martha McSally for Congress until election day on Nov. 4th. I got the internship by contacting the campaign headquarters and setting up an interview.”

What convinced you to intern with this organization?

KS: “I loved both the idea of the opportunity and the large stipend as compensation for my time. They paid for all traveling arrangements, also, which was definitely appreciated.”

JS: “I have always had a passion for politics and I knew the CD2 race was one of the most competitive races in the country. I was also easily convinced by Martha’s message and what she aims to do for District 2, Arizona and the nation.”

What were your expectations when you arrived and how were they met and/or proven different from your original expectations?

KS: “My expectations were that I was going to be closely watched, more of a shadowing experience. Instead, I received the opportunity to act as a graduate student. I was assigned a topic, and from there, I was to create a proposal on further research in that area. Finally, I was expected to implement that very research and gather information that could be used to improve upon the advancements made to date.”

What are some of your responsibilities on the team?

JS: “My main responsibilities are to reach out to voters and talk with them about their concerns about the issues facing us locally and nationally.”

What were some of your best memories there during your internship?

KS: “My best memories were definitely through some of the networking events in Georgia. One of them was a zip-lining tour from the longest zip line company in the entire nation, which proved to be absolutely incredible.”

JS: “The best memories I have so far are those of the office banter with staff and interns.”

What are your goals after graduation?

KS: “Currently, I am looking to go to graduate school and get my masters in either business or systems engineering. After gaining the necessary skill sets, I would like to one day open my own business.”

JS: “I plan on graduating with a degree in business economics from the Eller College and someday get into public service myself.”

Do you have any advice for fellow interns in and outside of your field?

KS: “I would advise fellow interns not to be completely overwhelmed by challenging application requirements, and, more importantly than that, to not to be their own ‘no’. It is challenging, but the experiences you can receive are unparalleled to everything else. Definitely worth it!”

Follow Cristien Keeme-Sayre @DailyWildcat