UA Marketplace offers safe easy trade

Courtesy of Sky Bartsch

Business finance junior Sky Bartsch saved a little over $30 by buying this desk through the UA Marketplace. The Facebook group currently consists of 4,200 members.

The UA Marketplace is an easy and convenient way for students to buy and sell virtually anything to other students. With over 4,200 members, the page is open to the public and constantly being updated with new members.

Students at the UA spend hundreds of dollars every year on new furnishings when moving into new apartments or houses. Students moving out of their homes or apartments throw away much of their unused furnishings, regardless of condition, unwilling to go through the hassle of finding a buyer for their leftovers.

The UA Marketplace is a great solution to boosting the recycling habit among the student community.

Contacting the seller is as easy as a comment or direct message on Facebook. From there, arrangements can be made for delivery or pickup. Being a group on Facebook, buyers can look at the profile of the seller before purchasing, allowing them to gain an idea of who they are buying from before a pickup or delivery.

The page consists of items that students are looking to sell. Services are also included on the page, but are much less common. A post usually contains a picture and brief description, along with any other information the seller deems valuable to the buyer. The page is an online treasure hunt. It includes anything from books, couches, electronics to concert tickets. One will never know what to expect when scrolling through the pages.

Business finance junior Sky Bartsch has bought the majority of his furniture off of the UA Marketplace. Bartsch recently bought a gently used desk off of UA Marketplace for $25. The same desk is valued at $60 retail.

“Being from California, I had limited space when traveling back to school,” Bartsch said. “I was planning on buying all of the furniture I needed when I got to school, and saved a ton of money by buying everything from the UA Marketplace.”

Business senior Matt Hanson is a new member of the Facebook page. Hanson is living in a furnished house this year, but still checks UA Marketplace for tickets to various weekend events, such as concerts and sporting events.

“I originally joined the Facebook group because I heard students sell concert tickets,” Hanson said. “New items show up on my Facebook newsfeed all of the time. It’s interesting to see what people are selling.”

Follow Joseph Ambre @DailyWildcat