UA offers new networking opportunity

Picasa

Courtesy of Pia A.P. Mogollon

Bear Down Downtown is an event that will take UA students to various urban hot spots. Connect Coworking in the Rialto Theatre is one of the stops on this networking tour.

A networking event known as Bear Down Downtown will give students and guests the opportunity to meet with local business leaders and alumni.

Beginning in the Student Union Memorial Center South Ballroom, students will hear from UA president Ann Weaver Hart and Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild, along with other UA community and campus leaders. The event will then transition to downtown Tucson, with the new Sun Link Tucson Modern Streetcar picking up students at Second Street and Highland Avenue.

From 5:45 p.m. – 8 p.m., there will be multiple destinations for students and guests to explore. In the Jacome Plaza, students will have the opportunity to meet with multiple nonprofits, such as the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tucson and the Humane Society of Southern Arizona.

Marie Logan, CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters, will be one of the many community leaders attending the event.

“There are 170 kids in the Tucson community looking for a Big Brother or a Big Sister,” Logan said.

Big Brothers Big Sisters is one nonprofit looking to raise interest in the future benefits volunteer programs bring to college students, such as networking opportunities and a greater understanding of adversity faced in the Tucson community, according to Logan.

Other available destinations will be at Connect Coworking, CoLab Workspace, Maker House and UA Downtown.

“We would like to expose students to the UA Downtown location and its benefits,” said Marilyn Robinson, the associate director of the Drachman Institute. Robinson will be another local business leader attending the event.

At UA Downtown, students will see an urban innovation tour, which includes the Sustainable City Project, an educational collaboration between the Tucson community, the Drachman Institute, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture.

Robinson said she believes that the UA Downtown location will give students a broader understanding of the Tucson community and the opportunities that it presents after students graduate. Students will be able to expand their learning opportunities outside the classroom and into Tucson.

CoLab Workspace will conduct training sessions on entrepreneurship. Students will also be given the opportunity to meet and network with community leaders.

Students looking to flex their creative muscle should make a stop at the Maker House. There, students can enjoy live music in the courtyard and learn about artistic events and internship opportunities.

Connect Coworking will also be another urban stop during the night. Guests will attend sessions on successful networking tactics and communication techniques for influential people. Housed in the historic Rialto Theatre, Connect Coworking opened its doors in 2013 to businesses looking for creative spaces to work.

The event will end with music, fun and prizes at The Beach, which is located behind Hotel Congress. Many community leaders, alumni, employers and students will be in attendance. There will also be a special guest appearance by the UA athletic director Greg Byrne. Prizes for alumni include a pair of football tickets to the Friday game against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

The Sun Link will be providing transportation back to campus between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. from Broadway Boulevard and Sixth Avenue. Prior registration is not needed but is encouraged to receive updates.

Follow Joseph Ambre @DailyWildcat