Hey, Barkeep: Meet Greg Turkington from Social House

Alex Guyton

Greg Turkington, a bartender at Social House, pours a beer from the tap.

Strangest, weirdest thing you’ve seen go down at the bar?

I had a group do a shot one time, and they all had different names for it. I’ve heard different, crazy variations of it. Essentially, it was a shot of tequila where, rather than lick the salt, take the tequila and suck the lime, they got down on the bar and they snorted the salt, they shot the tequila and then they squeezed the lime into their eye.

What are some of the names for the shot?

‘The Stuntman’ was one they called it, one was ‘Death in Tijuana’ or something along those lines. There were three gentlemen that did it, and they each had their own name for it.

How were they after it?

They were pretty good before it, and after it — let’s just say that I made sure that they were all taking taxis home that night. … They were half-laughter, half-painful tears.

Most memorable customer that comes to mind?

I’ve served a lot of the sports figures, a lot of U of A alumni that have come back. I’d say that Bill Walton might be one of them. Reggie Miller was a lot of fun, too. I had a chance to joke around with him a little bit.

What is your favorite drink to make?

I would say I enjoy making martinis. It really shows what type of alcohol that a person likes to get, and kind of shows you a little about who they are, as far as how they order a martini.

What is something a customer can do to piss you off as a bartender?

A lot of times, they’ll ask what the well liquor is, and I’ll mention to them that they won’t know it, but they’ll insist upon what it is. I’ll hold up a bottle … and they’ll have no idea what it is. A lot of time, people just need to trust their bartender a little bit better. If I tell you that you aren’t going to know what the well gin is, chances are you won’t, unless you’ve been in the industry — and if you have been, you won’t be asking, anyway.
    _______________

Follow Alex Guyton on Twitter @GuyTonAlexAnder