Chromeo concert shines at light over Rialto audience

Courtesy of Mark Flores

Chromeo performs at the Rialto Theatre on Oct. 10. DJ Wave Racer opened the concert with a series of Duck Sauce tracks.

Chromeo isn’t a household name, but when the Canadian duo decided to venture to the Rialto Theatre, it was tough to overlook its ridiculous talent and showmanship.

The interesting cohort includes David Macklovitch and Patrick Gemayel, known as Dave 1 and P-Thugg. Together, they are known as electro-funk/disco group Chromeo, and they have been creating great music since 2002. Not many know about their work, but once their music hits your ears, you’ll only want more. For instance, their most recent project, White Women, consists of tracks that will each fill your ears with pleasure.

Chromeo played at the Rialto on Oct. 10, and it was one heck of a concert. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but being the ninth person in line an hour before the show started, I wasn’t expecting much. Of course, Tucson isn’t where this music scene is, but if this band was as good as people said it was, I was wondering why there wasn’t a huge line going down Congress Street. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

To start off the concert, the opening act was Wave Racer, a disc jockey who had threw some semi-average bass in the audience’s face and played some Duck Sauce tracks as well. After that performance, the stage went pitch-black, and the whole crowd went absolutely crazy. A thin, black-costumed man wearing Ray-Bans with a ridiculously gorgeous haircut walked on stage and opened his mouth — and it might have been the most glorious event in the history of any indie concert. At the same time, another gentleman walked onto the stage wearing the total opposite: adidas sneakers with some baggy pants and a large crewneck. Did I mention he had a gold chain around his neck?

Every song Chromeo played had the crowd moving, and the pair’s lighting effects made it 10 times better. These performers knew how to put on a performance. They even had mirrors to give the light show a greater impact during the concert; it was a smart and innovative move on Chromeo’s part.

After the show, it was impossible for anyone to say they weren’t blown away. It was the best concert that I had ever been to, and you better believe that I’ll be getting a ticket the next time Chromeo is in Arizona. The live versions of some of the songs were better than their digital equivalents. Make sure to listen to Chromeo before it is too late.

_______________

Mark Flores is a guest columnist from KAMP Student Radio.